Oh My God-------pepper Burns On My Hands

Maxine

Learned something new today----------never chop peppers without gloves!!!!! shocked3.gif

I can not believe the pain---it feels worse then a 1st degree burn.....................!!!!!!!!!!!

I have looked up remedies on line---basically, nothing works that great-----------------------BUT ONE THING TO REMEMBER--NEVER RUB EYES OR MUCUS MEMBRANES----even after cleaning your hands. The capsaicin oils in the peppers is still on the skin.

I'm making white chili for my family today----Mom's in the hospital. My Dad must be so stressed. One of the Docs almost killed my mom. He insisted on giving her more insulin, but the nurse already gave her an injection. The Doc said give her one anyway---he was demanding.

Anyway her glucose levels were 30 the following morning---and they had to call the crash team. She is there for a terrible bed sore on her behind area, and for two more sores on her foot. Her urologist recently found a large tumor on her bladder------they can't do any surgery until those wounds heal.

Anyway, time to go take the chili over there. Glad my husband is helping--- ;)

Maxine :0)

Sorry about that----this was supposed to be in the chit-chat forum---I could have swore I went there-another potsy moment------------------------------------------- :)

Maxine :0) Please feel free to move this post-------- ;)

glad it's already feeling better.

my mom actually burned her EYES with super hot peppers a few months back so would certainly be able to empathize. she couldn't wear her contacts for days, had to go to the eye doc, etc. she had known to wear gloves cutting them (b/c of juices inside) but didn't realize that just picking them (touching the outsides) would be so problematic.

i was watching emeril once actually and he was giving "hot pepper warnings"...

B) melissa

Melissa, I was reading that just handling certain peppers (not cut) will stay on the skin for a while. Rubbing your eyes is bad news----------------I can't imagine what that felt like-----your poor mom--------OUCH!

Hey----found out something new---after the burn wore off, my hands were pretty smooth in that area-- B)

Must have been the oils...........

Maxine :0)

WOW! I can't imagine NOT wearing glove to cut peppers! But when I was better I used to read cookbooks for entertainment and watch cooking shows...I know it's VITAL to wear protection when cutting anything hot...OUCH..can't imagine.

Glad it's getting better.

Hope things get better with your mom and family.