Feet Purplish When Cold?

2manyfurkids

I went to put on my compression stockings this morning and the bottom of my feet were purple. Scary!!

I was cold but, still.... I know you have problems regulating your body temp with POTS, but that seems weird. Not to mention, I forgot about the farrier coming even though I wrote it down. He was not happy with me after driving 39 miles! I was sound asleep and didn't even hear the dogs barking. Why do I have this annoying memory loss? Will never fully understand this POTS thing. :P Karen

both my hands and feet go purple. like a comilian (sp?). it is pretty decoration. ha! i understand what you mean and i am sorry that it has to happen to you. does yours hurt? mine does sometimes but not always. sometimes i am just too numb and cold.

ahhhhhhh and the memory........ i would tell you a story but i just can't remember any right now. lol.

we have all been there. people use to kill my door banging on it and i never would wake up. my roomate even got into bed with me and jump up and down trying to wake me but couldn't. i understand that as well.

good luck to you and take care.

dionna :P

purple feet can be raynauds but can also "just" be from blood pooling, something that can occur in most if not all types of autonomic dysfunction.

my feet/lower legs are always purple & mottled if i'm sitting with my legs down for this reason.

i also have mild raynauds that can affect my hands & feet/lower legs and there can be overlap as both pooling & raynauds are circulation issues.

hope this helps,

:P melissa

Yeah, I've never been officially diagnosed with Raynauds- it's always been chalked up to circulation/POTS issues. What I don't get is if blood is pooling there so they're purple, why are they so cold? Shouldn't it be the opposite? Warm feet? :P

this is me extrapolating (versus my sharing info that i know to be accurate/ factual), but pooled blood is perhaps not as warm (since it isn't circulating as actively)?? it's not as if it's hanging out in the feet "forever" though so my "explanation" is most likely entirely wrong :P just thinking out loud...

honestly i have no clue, and know for me it's a combo of raynauds & pooling.

:( melissa

That might make more sense, Melissa... at any rate, I was always confused when told it was blood pooling, and my feet stayed at 78 degrees. :) And then I heard Dr. Stewart in NY had an opposing opinion, and to be honest I'm not sure I know the difference between high and low flow POTS. Obviously all these researchers have varying opinions (for better or worse?), though.

Hopefully some day they'll figure it out!!!

As to the cold feet, in addition to heating pads and such things, I absolutely love slipper socks!! I have so many pairs! For me, my hands aren't as constantly cold as the feet are, but none of them seems super painful like many patients with diagnosed Raynauds describe. That sounds excruciating. One of my friends is diagnosed as low-flow and her feet have become frostbitten with the Raynauds, such that part of a toe has been removed. :)

My feet and legs do this when I have been standing too long or when I get out of a hot shower because of blood pooling and the heat causes a vasodilating effect on your blood vessels. After I started to take lexapro this got a lot better because the serotonin constricts your blood vessels. I still can't use my whirlpool tub, it makes me feels horrible! Bummer. Oh, and my memory loss and brain fog got better when after taking lexapro. This has been the miracle drug for me.