Types Of Pots And What To Rule Out

nikigrl8883

hi i started another post recently "where do i start" but i thought i start a new one to focus on my question ..thanks you to those who replied before and yes i am on a beta blocker atenonol i also...i asked a question about a tilt table test what im saying is while i had the tilt test i also had the sweat test breathing test and electic shock on ankles and wrist and i passed all of those test the only one i didnt pass was the actually tilt table where they lay u down and then stand you up i had the usual pots reaction to that...my main concern is if ive passed the sweat breathing and electric test that means i dont have complete autonmic failure right?what does that mean and what does it rule out on the pots diagnosis...for example just an example, say some one had pots due to an adreneal problem would that show up differntly on the sweat test or breathing etc in comparrison to someone who had pots due to say a virus...

No, passing the EMG (the shock test) and the sweat test do not rule out POTS. POTS is diagnosed based on an increase of HR of 30 beats or more upon standing. However, getting a POTS diagnosis does not really help with finding the cause of the problem. POTS is more a finding, just like if someone has high blood pressure, or being diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome...none are really diseases, they're products of another process. I think the best way to rule out adrenal problems is to go see an endocrineologist.

I should warn you though, that some people never find a cause for thier POTS, however, that's no reason to stop trying.

like lauren said, it's only the upright heartrate increase that's needed for a POTS diagnosis. but you're definitely right in saying that your passing the other tests you mentioned means that you don't have autonomic failure, so please don't worry about that. and all in all, i would think it's a GOOD indication that your other autonomic testing is all normal. it doesn't minimize how ill you feel at the moment or mean that there isn't something wrong, but let's just say it's not a bad thing to not have other things definitely wrong.

in terms of a "why" answer, as others have said in this & your other thread, MANY people with dysautonomia - be it POTS or otherwise - never know. that doesn't mean it's not worth looking into, at least to a point, as certain "whys" can suggest treatments, but many (if not most) don't know, or at least don't know for sure. the testing you mentioned may rule out some particular "causes" that would more likely produce different results but for the most part it doesn't help with the "why". it doesn't point any more toward a viral cause or autoimmune or endo or anything else in particular.

and while i know that you must be horribly frustrated and feel like you've been ill forever already, in the land of dysautonomia it really hasn't been so long which is a GOOD thing in terms of your chances for feeling better with good treatment. while you may or may not get back to 100%, chances of major improvements for you are great.

hang in there,

:) melissa