Scleroderma

jkapache

MY RHUEMATOLOGIST WHOM DOESNT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT POTS, BUT REFERRED ME TO MY POTS DR, IS RUNNING SEVERAL TESTS TO RULE SCLERODERMA OUT. HE DOESNT THINK THAT I HAVE IT, BUT BECAUSE I HAVE RAYNAUDS PHENOMENA AND ESOPHGEAL DYSMOTILITY- TWO 'SIGNS OR SYMPTOMS' HE WANTS TO RULE IT OUT. HAS ANYONE ELSE EVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE? I WENT TO HIM TO SEE IF THERE WAS ANYTHING THAT I COULD DO FOR MY RAYNAUNDS.... LOOKS LIKE I MIGHT HAVE JUST OPENED UP ANOTHER CAN OF WORMS.... BUT THATS OK- IF IM GONNA HAVE ALL THIS STUFF- THEN I MID AS WELL HAVE A NAME- AND RULE EVERYTHING OUT!

It's common for a person to have both, that is why the doctor is checking you for scleraderma. My father in law has had both for years and has tried many different dreatments. He doesn't have POTS though, so I don't know how that would effect those conditions. He has had to have his esophagus stretched multiple times due to the scleraderma. Being on nexium has helped him a great deal.

Scleraderma causes the skin to become tight and nonflexible. It can also affect the internal organs and become life threatening if that happens. My father in law has the chronic kind and has had it for at least 30 years, along with the raynauds.

BREN- THANKS FOR THE REPLY! I AM HAPPY THE DR IS WILLING TO CHECK OUT EVERYTHING. I ACTUALLY AM ON NEXIUM TOO. BAD ACID AND REGERGATATION- ALTHOUGH NOT SURE HOW MUCH IT IS HELPING/ OR SUPPOSE TO BE HELPING THE REGERG. MY DR ISNT SURE IF THE POTS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE RAYNAUDS OR NOT..... GUESS WE MIGHT FIND OUT WITH ALL THE TESTS HE ORDERED!

It's common for a person to have both, that is why the doctor is checking you for scleraderma. My father in law has had both for years and has tried many different dreatments. He doesn't have POTS though, so I don't know how that would effect those conditions. He has had to have his esophagus stretched multiple times due to the scleraderma. Being on nexium has helped him a great deal.

Scleraderma causes the skin to become tight and nonflexible. It can also affect the internal organs and become life threatening if that happens. My father in law has the chronic kind and has had it for at least 30 years, along with the raynauds.

When I was first diagnosed way , way back in 2000 by my rheum man as I have Raynaud's he thought I had scleroderma .............you get patches of tight shiny skin , patches of rough skin, have difficulty swallowing , bending , joints are tight ................ :huh:

Girl ,you dont want it as it is one of the conditions that just keeps on getting worse and worse and the end is bad .

When my husband and son where told , they cried and cried because they knew that I may have this condition and were dreading the doctor actually confirming it .

So based on what the doctor saw on he ( my skin then was horrendous) and my tight joints he said 'it is '...............thank heavens he was wrong , but it scared me so much, scleroderma is something I dread getting and I'm always aware of my skin now and any strange shiny or rough tight skin on my body .

Hope your Doctor has taken the wrong path , let me know .

Willows.

Hi Jess,

Yes, I've been evaluated for sclerodrma numerous times. I also have severe Reynaud's and problems with my esophagus. Usually bloodwork is the first step. If your ANA's are high, your rheum will probably do more checking. Google CREST syndrome. It's much more likely (hopefully) that that's what's going on. I have many signs of scleroderma, but my ANA's have never been high. Thank God. Scleroderma can be a scary disease. Please keep us posted on your status.

Julie