Birth Control

Lukkychrm42

OK I know there have been topics like this before, but my ideal BC would be non-hormonal but would still stop me from getting a period. The IUD is causing some problems, and I may need to get it taken out. Does anybody know if the low-dose pills have fewer side effects, or if one hormone has fewer side effects than others?? Please share your experiences with such things, if you will! Thanks!

Megan

I talked with my gyno about my bp issues, etc. and she gave me NuvaRing to try...Haven't tried it yet..wonder if anyone else has though.

i just started taking ortho tricyclen, before i was taking ortho tricyclen lo. i will let you know how it does. the gyn told me to take it in such a way that i will only get my period every other month or she said i may not at all. i have only taken 2 pills so far though.

dionna :wub:

I've been using NuvaRing for about a year. It's not completely regulating my periods, but I think my system was pretty seriously out of whack when I started. It does make them lighter and noticeably shorter. It's the only hormonal birth control I've taken, so I can't compare it to pills. I'm probably going to try something else, maybe something stronger, and see what it does.

in general anything in a lower dose is going to have less chance of side effects than the same thing or something similar in a higher dose. of course that's not a guarantee for an individual person or a specific medication.

i took levlite for several years, a very low dose pill, solely for the purpose of suppressing my periods and the accompanying dramatic increase in autonomic symptoms (especially hypotension). about 2 years ago i was switched to seasonale, a slightly higher dose pill, due to abnormal ovarian cysts i had developed (which is unusual for someone on birth control). i haven't had any problems with either med.

hope this helps,

:wub: melissa

Hello!

I know we are all so different but here's my experience:

I tried Ortho-Tri Cyclen for about a month and I felt extremely "edgey" and even frustrated/angry while on it. I definitely needed something more mild so my Dr. prescribed Yasmin. I've been on it now for 4 years and I think it's great!! I have absolutely no side effects. (I usually take it continually for 2 months at a time.)

Hope this helps,

Lisa

The progesterone component of Yasmin is drospirenone, which is chemically similar to the diuretic spironolactone. It has antimineralocorticoid activity (i.e., it does the opposite of what Florinef does). Probably a really really bad idea for most women with POTS. It is contraindicated in women with adrenal insufficiency.

http://berlex.com/html/products/pi/fhc/Yasmin_PI.pdf

My daughter and myself (both POTS) take Yasmin with NO side effects what-so-ever like lisa.

We read about it from past posts here, and our respective doctors both suggested it due to low hormone amounts, and for my daughter, the anti-acne side effects. My family believes low hormones are definitely better with regards to POTS, and our docs, including Dr. G aren't worried about our use of Yasmin at all.

Hope you find something that works.