Do You Ever Feel Like You Are On Speed....

Patricia

Hi everyone.

I have Hyperadrenergic POTS and NMH. There are days that I am feeling "better" than others and I feel I am able to do more so I do! Then this feeling of speed sets in and I cannot recline and relax for more than a few minutes before getting up again, nor look at the TV and relax because everything feels in high gear. I can get anxious and feel I cannot breathe as this goes on. It is a vicious cycle until, usually in the wee hours of the morning, it finally settles down. The next day I am CRASHED with fatigue and chest discomfort.

Do any of you get this or something similar and what helps? I take Inderal and Ativan for POTS. I do not tolerate Florinef or Midodrine.

Patricia

Absolutely! Incredibly familiar!

The only way I know not to get it is not to do much when you have the surge of wanting to get up and do things. Incredibly hard not to give in to it. But if I do then I end up being *high* for up to 2-3 days and I can't sleep either.

Maybe the others will have some suggestions.

I get this all the time too, especially close to my period. I have been doing breathing exercises which have helped a lot. They don't necessarily help in the moment, but I think since I have started doing the exercises, the feeling of being constantly wired has lessened. I usually don't take supplements, but sometimes I also take valerian root which seems to relax me, as does my beta blocker.

Patricia

YES to feeling like speed question. I remember somebody explaining it to me years ago that one of the ANS docs says in many of us...we are like a car with a stuck accelerator!!

We want to just breathe and relax (put on the brakes!) but when your ANS is NOT INTACT, certain relaxation techniques take a while to kick in. OR do not work AT ALL ..or in others do not work UNLESS we are reclined. Let's face it, if your tachycardia LOWERS 40-50 BPM lying down, that's what most of us do.

I also find on most days, I am still fatigued greatly with this sensation.

Other times, I clean house, REALLY FAST and take frequent breaks. Like the Tasmanian Devil cartoon.

Also, I get sicker during my pms or period junk but oddly, one or two of those days I am SUPER REVVED up and can cook or clean or run errands. And my insomnia is worsened.

So I just learn to run with the ball when I have it! :huh:

It's so nice to know other people get this, too!

This happens to me after every time I have a good stretch. For a few days, I'll feel like doing things, and I actually can without wiping out. Then I'll have a few days when I have the speedy feeling. I feel like I'm running on fumes, but I still can't stop moving. I also have insomnia then.

I'm interested that relaxation techniques don't necessarily work normally in potsies. I had noticed that trying them seems to make me feel more tense. The only thing I've found that helps is making myself close my eyes and rest for short stretches. If 2 minutes is the longest I think I can do, that's the goal I set for myself. Sometimes I just try to notice periodically which muscles are tense and make a point of relaxing them, even if only for a moment. Same with turning off my mind for just a moment. It doesn't stop the speedy feeling, but I think it mitigates the effects a little.

with this speedy feeling, do any of you get a lot of knots in your muscles. i have knots in my back and sides to my breast all the time. and sometimes in my legs or arms. i try to stretch everyday to prevent them but they still appear. i guess it may be from me being tense all the time. i have no idea how to actaully relax.

dionna :wub:

Who would have thought so many of us have this problem? :wub: I appreciate you folks posting so I know I am not the only one out there......sometimes you can think you are just going crazy with all these different symptoms varying day to day. I have done relaxation techniques successfully at times during these days, but when I am upright again it seems to kick back in. Atleast I can break the cycle at times even if only for a short while.

Too bad there is not that "magic" pill to make alot of this stuff just go away! :)

Thanks,

Patricia

Yes, I get that "speed feeling" also and I can't make it stop when it starts. I feel irritable because all the world moves to slow for me and I can't shut my mind off when it happens. I will be very hypertensive and tachycardic with it. It is the worst feeling for me. Many medications make me feel this way and I have to avoid any that will cause "speeding" like decongestants, antidepressants etc. Nice not to be alone in the misery.

Lori

Dionna,

There are alot of tapes out there on relaxation. It is what seems to fit you best. There is Progressive Relaxation that teaches you to go through all your muscle groups and relax them, there is Imagery where you invision yourself in a beautiful, relaxing, safe place. There is also Mindful meditation or simply deep breathing. You can do these sitting or reclined. Just do not worry too much about getting your breathing EXACTLY how some of the tapes want you to because it can precipitate symptoms for some. Let your body tell you what works.

Do you have a "new age" book store nearby? Or just trying Barnes and Noble. I would try a tape before a book as the tapes will have a voice to guide you through the process. Some here may have links to direct you to specific practices.

Hope this helps!

Patricia