Uti Infections Making Pots Worse? Or Is It The Antibiotics?

persephone

Hi all, I have a UTI infection and am taking trimethoprim. My POTS symptoms came back with a vengeance this week, but I'm wondering what's making me worse- the infection itself or the antibiotics?

Last night, after 2 doses I had crushing chest pain that was so bad I wanted to go to hospital, but I spoke to my mum in the end and she said to wait and see if it passed.

This morning I woke up and tried to sit up but passed out instead.

I'm better this pm, up and walking about- but you know what it's like when you feel yourself sliding. I just wondered if any of you get like this when you have UTIs or take antibiotics? I am always floored by infections and antibiotics these days.

I always am more symptomatic when ill, and some antibiotics don't agree with me but are a necessary evil. Could be one of the issues or a combo of both--and until you're body heals from the infection, you can probably expect to feel more POTSy than usual for you.

Nina

i get UTI's all the time. it is possible that the meds are doing it but like said before anytime i get any type of illness or whatever i feel worse anyway. the good thing is that UTIs do not last long! i hope you get better as soon as possible.

dionna :)

hi again,

i had a recurrent uti for eight weeks (thank god it's finally gone) i had seven doses of antibiotics some made me worse though.

i always get really sick if i have a uti, fainting constantly can't even sit up, can't put my feet down for too long, you know the norm.

but two of the antibiotics that they tried made me even worse, in the end i had augmentin and that cleared it up without too many side effects, the thing was though when i went to the docs or hospital they'd say that i had an infection but it wasn't very bad so maybe my pots makes me react badly to even slight infections?

becks x x x

hey there persephone.. i woudlv enture to say that the uti and the antibiotics are mnaking you feel worse..i know i'm still on antibiotics for a bladdr infection myself. feel better soon dear!!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

hey matey,

trimethoprim wasthe drug i took and couldn't sit up, and you know my pots isn't normally that bad, i just couldn't get out of bed, i the end i took augmentin, i get so sick with uti's though, and i have no symptoms!

one more freaky thing for you, i hospital the week before last they said i had a uti then an hour later i didn't have it any more! wow, my body heals fast!!

hope you feel better soon,

becks x x x

I was told recently by my immunologist that "Quinilin" based antibiotics mess with your electical system, and should be avoided by POTS patients. I was on Leviquin and I know I could not tolerate it. Also Cipro was bad.

I thought it was good information. I hope it helps others.

Rhonda