Weird Skin Problems

juliegee

Hi All,

a few years ago, when all of my autonomic symptoms were really severe, I had some weird skin erruptions that almost seemed to preceed my other symtoms (tachycardia, difficulty urinating and burning pain on the bottom of my feet.) These skin erruptions started as small bumps on my skin. Some stayed small, while others grew to almost an inch in diameter. They were like boils or large pimples, extremely painful. They lasted a week or so and then magically deflated. They were on my trunk, arms and legs. The worst and most painful of them was in my armpits.

I saw an allergist, who treated them as uticaria, with 3 different antihistamines. At the same time, I also develped chest tightness, etc. In retrospect, I don't think they were hives because they were relatively isolated and lasted for so long.

Has anyone else ever had any sort of problem like this? Thanks in advance.

Julie

hi!

this is a really long shot....i know.....

but my mom had samo thing.....and it was due to being on premarin[synthetic estrogen]......longgggg term.

went away--after coming off the synthetic estrogen.

had to reply, as couldn't see your hx..or meds...etc....

here's hoping someone has an answer soon for you!

((((hugs))))

Maggee

oh my goodness. i had what sounds like pretty much the same exact thing at one point last year. i had smaller more hive-like rashes on and off for months on end but had the "eruptions" at one point and it sounds very similar to what you're describing. for me this was at a time when my whole system was pretty wacked out, i was malnourished (b/c of GI issues), etc. i also lost a lot of hair around the same time.

both of my rashes were biopsied and the smaller/hive-like rash did come back as an allergic/histamine reaction of some sort but the other biopsy showed nothing conclusive, though i still have several scars from it on my arms. before the biopsy they actually were thinking that it might be the skin variant of celiac disease (dermatitis herpetiformis) but that ended up not being the case. thankfully i haven't had either of the rashes now in over a year though we don't know what changed to make them go away. i'm in worse shape now health-wise other than my nutritional status (since i'm on TPN) so part of me thinks there was some relationship to that for me.

another one of those mysteries....

:P melissa

Hi Maggee-

Thanks for your reply. No, no estrogen here- yet. I'm sucha newbie, I haven't figured out how to write my DX, meds,

Gratefully,

Julie

hi!

but my mom had samo thing.....and it was due to being on premarin[synthetic estrogen]......longgggg term.

((((hugs))))

Maggee

Wow, Melissa-

When I saw weird skin stuff under your list of DX's, I wondered. Were any of the big erruptions in your arm pits? Most of mine were. One was on my forearm. Mine are gone now too and, thankfully, my autonomic issues are not bad right now. Let's hope they don't come back for either of us. :P

Julie

oh my goodness. i had what sounds like pretty much the same exact thing at one point last year. i had smaller more hive-like rashes on and off for months on end but had the "eruptions" at one point and it sounds very similar to what you're describing. for me this was at a time when my whole system was pretty wacked out, i was malnourished (b/c of GI issues), etc. i also lost a lot of hair around the same time.

both of my rashes were biopsied and the smaller/hive-like rash did come back as an allergic/histamine reaction of some sort but the other biopsy showed nothing conclusive, though i still have several scars from it on my arms. before the biopsy they actually were thinking that it might be the skin variant of celiac disease (dermatitis herpetiformis) but that ended up not being the case. thankfully i haven't had either of the rashes now in over a year though we don't know what changed to make them go away. i'm in worse shape now health-wise other than my nutritional status (since i'm on TPN) so part of me thinks there was some relationship to that for me.

B) melissa

julie -

fyi, there's info regarding how to do your "signature" (the part at the bottom where many of us have our dx, meds, etc) under the "helpful hints" section at the top of the forum. the direct link is: http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5555

hope this helps...

:P melissa

hi Julie,

glad u not of the 'estrogen-needin-age' :P .....lol!!!!

**go to 'my controls'.....then scroll down on u left----to 'edit my signature'....

>>>>that's where you write your hx/meds/yada, hun....

don't feel bad....took me a long time to figure it out too!!!

best regards again!

Maggee

Hi Maggee-

Thanks for your reply. No, no estrogen here- yet. I'm sucha newbie, I haven't figured out how to write my DX, meds,

Gratefully,

Julie

hi!

((((hugs))))

Maggee

Wow, Melissa-

When I saw weird skin stuff under your list of DX's, I wondered. Were any of the big erruptions in your arm pits? Most of mine were. One was on my forearm. Mine are gone now too and, thankfully, my autonomic issues are not bad right now. Let's hope they don't come back for either of us. :)

Julie

B) melissa

nothing was in the armpits for me....most of the "eruptions" were on my arms with some on my back, trunk, buttocks, and upper legs. the mini-hives were more all over but mostly on arms & legs.

i still have major skin sensitivities (i.e. took me three dressings to find one i'm not allergic to for my central line) but not the day-to-day unexplained rashes...which is nice. it's probably the only thing that's headed in a positive direction for me (health wise) over the past few years!

:) melissa

Guest sonotech

This is really strange, and I am SO glad you posted this!!

I have had multiple "eruptions" on my arms and legs for many years now (off and on). Of course i scar easily so I have LOTS of scars from them.

Everytime I see a new doc, they say "Ooh, what's that?" and I just say that it is scars from some type of skin lesions. Have been to MANY docs for them and they have NO EXPLANATION for it of course. The most painful ones that I get are on my elbows.

Mine ALSO come in cycles, I get them and it takes WEEKS to heal leaves scars) and then it might be several months later before I get them again. Thay ALWAYS happen bilaterally (both sides of the body) at the same time and it DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!!!!

Mine didn't act like normal hives. It never itched. Pretty sure it wasn't herpes, (Can you get that in your armpits?) but that's an interesting theory. I'm gonna look into your idea.

Julie

I had this kind too- but I thought it was a herpes of some kind because it was itchy and I had a herpes before. Any one of you had herpes of whatever kind before this/ May be the immune system geyts so low with POTS that any existing herpes in the body just flares up