Addisons Disease

cardiactec

Yes, twice. Doctor was convinced I had it, but I don't. Apparently if you do they give you meds and you are fine. But it is very serious, so I was glad that I didn't. BTW, they give you a needle to test your adrenals. It gives them a huge zap. I had to have a rest for about 30 mins afterwards and food before I felt ok.

i believe you'll find that many have been. we have a few members (though not necessarily very active ones) who have addisons and there are a handful of us (perhaps more) who have had testing that shows some disregulation &/or deficiency in cortisol levels or production at some level. some have tried &/or take cortisol supplementation for this reason.

personally i tried it for almost a year (after testing showed deficiencies in my body's ability to produce adequate cortisol at times of stress) and found no symptomatic improvement but do know that my body may need additional cortisol at times of significant extra physical stress (i.e. surgery).

if you do a search for "cortisol" you should find quite a bit of additional discussion on related issues.

:) melissa

Hey Suzanne,

i was tested about three years ago for addisons, but i think i was to be re-tested. did you have to request to be retested or did the doc just order the testing the second time around?

wow i never had them test my adrenals with a needle........is that how they checked you for addisons? all they did with me was have me lay down and draw ACTH levels immediately, and then again after quiet resting for thirty minutes.........

The doctor ordered the retest. He gave me a simple blood test first, then he ordered a special test where a guy had to especially come out from the city to administer it. He took blood, then gave me a shot of something that I felt hit my body like a lightning bolt. I felt disgusting and nearly fainted. He then took more blood 30 mins later. I actually thought I might have had it because I certainly felt like my adrenals went into shock. Anyway, all was ok. I don't think the doctor realised (or cared) that it was so taxing on me. Won't do it again :)

• 2 weeks later...

THey tested me for this when I crashed with the full blown POTS..in the hospital. I was negative but saliva testing showed I had adrenal exhaustion beyond and was very close to developing this. I was weak,couldn't move basically felt like I was a croakin.

They did find however that I had had MOno recently which could have contributed and also I was on prednsione which probrably preceded my crash..if not helped cause it. Adrenal functioning went downhill after the steroids.