How Many Of Us Now Use Equipment To Assist Us?.

willows

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Right sitting here on this hot sticky afternoon I was looking around me and thought .....' I wonder how many other pots people use stuff to help them each and every day '????

I have a mobility car, special mattress & pillows , bed pulley, bath seat , bath rail, loo rails ( not loo rolls !) stair lifts, I'm owing up to a zimmer frame at my old age of 50 ( shuffle---shuffle) three walking sticks , and tons of kitchen things like; oven rail, rubber kettle handles, can openers, special knife and fork when I need it, oh ! and two of those tippy lidded cups for my' I'm dying days ' when I cant hold a thing and nearly drown myself trying !!!! I haven't included personal items like wrist braces ( 3 sets) special Velcro shoes/boots or medical items .

So its all this in about 35 years from day one until now.

So being nosey ( well inquisitive really) I was wondering how many of you have to use these items as well .

I was wondering if given the amount of time you have had the condition if you 'stack up the equipment ' as time goes on OR if as for some unlucky ones its help from almost day one .

Willows.

I have an office-style chair that rolls and swivels in the kitchen so I can sit and cook or do dishes. In the bathroom I have a shower chair and hand-rails in the shower. I have my "own" couch in the living room where I nest during the day. When I need to go anywhere and don't feel good, or would have to do too much walking (ie more than two or three mintues of walking), I use a wheelchair that I've nick-named "ol' scooty"--I even have flame decals on it to make it go faster!

I know what you mean I am only 27 but I have two wheel chairs, ( one power, I am still lucky as I can still get around on my own on good day, little as they come) and then there the hole oxygen thing too. Lucky our house was handicap ***. as the last owner had removed the tub upstairs ( main level) and replaced with a big shower with a seat, and all the bars where in it, and then it has the handicap toilet in it, also the whole main level, where the bedrooms, kicthen, bathroom all had hardwood in them so it east to get around doen fall it does hurt if you hit the floor. :)

when we bought the house 4 years ago these where all things we where going to change, but now that I got sick, we where kind of lucky there where alredy here in the house! Dumb luck I guess!

Guest tearose

I have used and reuse or put away and use as needed...my "assist wardrobe" includes:

2 walkers, two four prong canes, one single leg seat cane, two tri-pod leg seat canes, one four leg seat cane, several types of single leg non-seat canes, a stationery "power lift chair" that assists in getting me in and out of the chair (not a scooter chair), a shower chair, two handicap equipped bathrooms and most helpful, a ranch-single level home...with a stair lift chair in case I need to go down to the basement or more important, up from the basement and need help.

I think of my heavy duty compression garments as "soft-assit" aids but that is a different story!

oh, naturally I use a bar stool at the kitchen sink and do many other things to help compensate that I probably don't even realize right now.

tearose

I have used and reuse or put away and use as needed...my "assist wardrobe" includes:

2 walkers, two four prong canes, one single leg seat cane, two tri-pod leg seat canes, one four leg seat cane, several types of single leg non-seat canes, a stationery "power lift chair" that assists in getting me in and out of the chair (not a scooter chair), a shower chair, two handicap equipped bathrooms and most helpful, a ranch-single level home...with a stair lift chair in case I need to go down to the basement or more important, up from the basement and need help.

I think of my heavy duty compression garments as "soft-assit" aids but that is a different story!

oh, naturally I use a bar stool at the kitchen sink and do many other things to help compensate that I probably don't even realize right now.

tearose

I could not take a shower without the bath chair I would be afraid that I would faint and really injure myself. I have a walker with a seat and a wheel chair I do not use them often but instead take a folding seat that I carry in a tote bag. I am looking for a better folding seat as the ones I have used are very lightweigt, which is good, but not stable. I would rather have a heavier one that is stable and therefore easier to use. Anyone know of a good one?