A Note To All Our Newer Members

Hello and Welcome! So many of you have joined in the past few weeks and I've not had time to personally greet each of you. However, I wanted to share with you some quick tips to help you find what you need from our site.

First: knowledge is power!!! :rolleyes: at the top of this forum, there are several "pinned" topics, pinned there by the administrators and moderators of this forum (Michelle, Melissa (Sunfish) and me). Please read over the top 3:

the forum rules

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5

the helpful hints

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5555

and help yourself to answers.

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1954

These three topics will help you become a master of this site in a short period of time, learn to use all the resources Michelle has taken the time to put on the main DINET site, and also learn to use features like searching old posts. This way, you can have all of the collective knowledge already here and posted by our members--and if it's not already on the site, you can learn how best to post your questions to get the most informative responses.

Again, welcome and I hope you find a great deal of help and support here.

Nina

Thank you Nina for that reminder...

As many of the 'oldies' seem to be in POTSholes these days...it is hard for many of us to keep up with the volume of posts. Also, many of the topics that come up have been discussed in detail before, as you said, and folks may find that they don't get many answers b/c the topics have been discussed so many times before.

I worry that new folks will feel that people 'don't care' when they don't receive responses to some of their posts...and I want to reassure them, that sometimes it is b/c the topic has come up so many times before OR it is simply that those available to post answers to their questions are so limited in their own functioning. I know that is the case with me. I would love to be able to post in more detail about Lyme to those asking about, but just can't right now.

I am so grateful for the 'search' function AND the fact that we are able to keep all of the archives of old posts b/c they are so helpful!

Welcome to all the new folks! It sure is busy around here! :) This is a warm, friendly and supportive environment with many amazing people. Following these simple rules will hopefully make your experience here even better--and help us all 'manage our energy points' in terms of posting.

Emily

Thanks Ladies--I'm trying to make sure that new members get the most out of being here, and can find what they need even if many of us are "down for the count" at the time. :) Nina

at the risk of sounding like a broken record, DITTO.

welcome to all....and for my standard line, i'm sorry so many have reason to be here but am glad you all found the forum & site.

i know that the search feature is one of my best friends, despite being around the forum for a good while now.

and there is more info on the links nina/mightymouse highlighted than you'll know what to do with.

:) melissa

You're welcome! <_< I know some newer members weren't getting many replies to some of their questions--and I think that's mostly because the questions have come up so many times before, and energy for all of us is so limited, especially in the hotter weather.

I also want to add that if you've not read the free pdf downloadable book (chapter by chapter) from NDRF (another non profit), you can find it here

http://www.ndrf.org/NDRFHandbook.htm

I own a hardcover copy, but I've sent specific chapters to some of my family members to help them better understand what's going on with my body. Also, when I first got the book, I must have read it through a few times over because it helped me to better understand MY specific situations, how to better manage symptoms, etc.

Happy reading! Nina

I just want to take this opportunity to welcome all of the new members to the forum as well! You'll find a great amount of support and knowledge here, as well as on the main DINET site, www.dinet.org, and in the information Melissa and Nina have so kindly compiled.

Happy posting! :)

Michelle

Cardiactec, this is the post I was speaking of--see my reply about halfway down the page for the link to the NDRF handbook which is free to download chapter by chapter and contains all the same info as in the hardcover book.

Nina

We have a few more new folks who've joined us in the past 2 days--welcome, and please do read the posts are linked above.

Nina

I noticed that some of you have been struggling with what the acronyms mean-- just a reminder that you can find out what most of them mean by looking up at the pinned topics--acronyms commonly used on our forum are listed under the "frequently asked questions" near the bottom.

today I updated it to include a few that have been coming up lately, such as LLD (lyme literate doctor).

nina