Light Bother Anyone?

Hi :)

Just curious if anyone is bothered by light. I can't wear sunglasses due to a septorhinoplasty I had years ago, my nose is sensitive where the sunglasses would sit. I notice that the light bothers me alot and I am always squinting, even on cloudy days.....

Is this something that goes along with POTS?

Also, does anyone know of anything that I can do to alleviate the prob, besides sunglasses?

Thanks,

Jacquie

A sun visor - and I wear it low on my forehead.

Yeah, light bothers me. One reason we moved to another state was to get out of the "We have 360 days of sun a year!!" stuff.... And here we have shade trees!

I can do sunglasses - but for some reason, they disorient me.

I just try to stay inside all I can!

I've been very sensitive to light since the onset of all these bizarre symptoms. Brights lights seem to almost blind me. I had a thorough workup by an opthamologist which came up empty - some of the tests were pretty awful! I haven't seen him in awhile but he said my complaints coincided with those of other people with neurological disorders and that not much research has been done in this area. His only advice to me was sunglasses and that there was nothing else he could do for me. He wished me luck and sent me away.

I find that I sometimes can't stay in a room if the lights are on and not that I can really tolerate car rides well, but I find it awful to be in a car at night as oncoming lights blind me. I often wear hats which sometimes keeps lights from above from shining in my eyes and wear sunglasses a lot too. I often feel that this symptom is looked over by my docs.

Sorry, I have no idea about the connection to POTS but I experience it too. I believe the word for this symptom is Photophobia.

Oh yeah, I'm a vampire- I hide from light. I literally wear sunglasses at night if I'm outside. Never had this problem until ANS went nutsy. Dilated pupils are a logical cause. Unfortunately, you are not alone at all.

Carmen

:) I have problems with light also, esp. in places with flourescent lighting like Home Depot and the supermarket - I try to look down at the floor as much as possible in these places and not focus in on much in these stores, as the more I look straight ahead, I get dizzier and get a headache faster. Usually, once I leave these stores, the dizziness passes within about 1/2 an hour. Sounds strange, but it has been this way for the past few years since my dysautonomia began. Before that, I didn't have any problem with lights. I am also the same way in the mall and sit down frequently and drink alot while there to help me.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies, they are always appreciated! :) I never even thought to wear a visor to block the sun! I actually have a red sox one i can wear!!

Light bothers me along with the darn floaters. Started when I had my first flare up in April '05 and hasn't gone away. I even wear sunglasses when its raining sometimes.

yeppers, i live with sunglasses on, even on cloudy days. i've been this way for years.

my pupils have been confirmed as wacky. not exactly the medical term(s) used, but it gets the point across :D

:) melissa

Light can really make me almost sick to my stomache, and will always set off a terrible headache. :) I liked the idea of wearing a visor, as sunglasses also make things disoriented for me. Life as a vampire is no way to live, however, the headaches and upset stomache are enough to keep me inside.

Sometimes the computer screen gives off too much light and I have to go and change the settings in order to stay online for a while longer.

I'm going to have to look into getting that visor and seeing if that helps when I go outside (you know, on those rare occasions when the stars and moon are aligned and my potsy self feels up to the challenge)......... :D

YEESS!!!

Light is unbearable! I have extremely large pupils (I often get comments from complete strangers on how large my pupils are). My doctors say it's because I have NMH and the nervous system doesn't function properly therefore it isn't controlling my pupil dilation properly. My blood vessels throughout my body are also very dilated and large (hence the blood falling into my feet and hands when I stand up) so that goes along with the pupil activity.

A visor is a great idea, I see that's been mentioned... what about tinted contact lenses?

I was wondering if there are such things as tinted contact lenses...Does anyone know where I could get them?! <_<

Guest Julia59

Light bothers me a lot---Sunlight---but especially fluorescent.

I wear sunglasses also. I bought some really nice prescription sun glasses along with my new glasses. <_< I really needed them--(prescription), and they are so expensive, so had to wait to get them.

Flourescent lighting really make me symptomatic---and then disoriented. I end up losing my balance, and my POTs symptoms go crazy. It depends on the type of flourescent lighting---some stores are worse then others.

Sam's, Wallmart, Some grocery stores ect. Kohl's isn't bad---their flourscent lighting is recessed up into the cealing more. I don't last long in stores anyway---so if the lighting is too bright, i'm out of there in less then 5 minutes. Now----my new sunglasees help out if I really have not choice to go to the store on my own---without help.

Julie :0)

Yes, flourescent lighting bothers me as well as natural lighting (the sun, etc). Unfortunately my bathroom has the flourescent lights, so usually I don't even bother to use the bathroom light, if it's dark out I use the night light...

I know that I am always squinting when I am outside, even if it's not even that sunny outside. <_<

Jacquie

I'm just like funnyfrog when it comes to light. I have glasses that turn dark when I go outside, but the florescent light really does a number on me. Home Depot/ Loews and bright light coming through the mall skylights are hard to deal with. I usually have to leave after a few minutes because I become so dizzy and disoriented. Even sitting down in that environment doesn't cut it. Martha

Home Depot/Lowes do it to me also. I work in a setting with those metal halide lights and can actually see them flickering very fast by the end of the day I am so drained by it.

Guest tearose

Yes! I need time to adjust from the time I open my eyes in the morning! I start off being sensitive to even indoor lights...I use my car's sun visor even on cloudy days!

I also have trouble seeing well now in the dark...always a challenge.