Just Need To Ramble

mtkim

I have only posted a couple of times, but I check in with the forum regularly. I just thought I'd let you know what has been going on since the diagnosis of POTS came up for me just a few months ago.

My cardiologist wanted to wean me off my heart medications so that I could have the tilt table test. In order to wean me off the medications and still keep an eye on me he has inserted a loop monitor. I have been able to wean off the Tambocor completely. On my first interrogration of the loop monitor I was lucky enough to have a wonderful and caring physician's assistant. She did tell me though that I would never be able to come off the beta blocker (atenolol) to have the tilt table test performed (from looking at the results of my first loop monitor interrogation).

Of course weaning off the heart medications had made me very anxious and my family physician did not like the fact that I was taking Xanax 0.25 mg t.i.d. (even the the prescription is written for q.i.d.). She started me on Cymbalta this weekend. I took my first dose, didn't feel to bad, just a little loopy, but still able to get something done around the house. I did a few little light chores, poured myself something cold to drink, was walking across the living room and the next thing I knew I was down. I've always had the sensation that I was going to faint, but have never actually gone to the floor (even with heart rates in the 200s I have never hit the ground). I hate it when I start a new medication. I am so hypersensitive to just about everything.

Today I went for my second interrogration of the loop monitor and had the same nice lady. She told me she was sending a note to my cardiologist for a referral (this is the part I loved). She told me there is a world reknowned physician in Toledo named Dr. Grubb that she thought could help me. This is the second part of my visit that I loved, she told me that I wasn't crazy and that this was very real and she thought this doctor could help me. I am anxiously awaiting a call from my cardiologist now and am hoping he will give me a referral. Does anyone know if I have to have a referral if my cardiologist doesn't call me back?

She did tell me that until we determine if it was the Cymbalta that made me pass out that she would really prefer that I not drive and that if I did have to drive not to use the cruise control. Ever since I got really sick about 3 1/2 years ago I don't do much driving anyway. I have reached a point in my life that I can't do anything by myself. :( . I really miss the days when I could just take off and go grocery shopping. I used to love the time alone to take a shower, watch television, read, etc. and I never cook anymore. I miss my own cooking. I am a medical transcriptionist and fortunately can work at home, but after a 6-7 hour day of computer time I am just done. I don't want to watch television, play on a computer, read, or do anything that seems to overstimulate me. Does anyone else have this problem?

Unlike the majority of you, believe it or not mornings are my best times of the day. From about 5 p.m. til about 10 or 11 p.m. are my worst times. I think I am just overstimulated by that time of the day. I try not to close myself off from my family, but I find I just want to sit in front of the fans in my bedroom with no television, computer, or phone.

Thanks for letting me ramble and thanks all of you for just being there. :)

Kim

Hi,

I have heard very good things about Dr. Grubb, so hopefully you get an apptmt to see him. :(

I also recetnly was put on Cymbalta,a month ago and after taking one pill, I passed out cold the next morning. I usually just come very close to completely going down, if I have warning I am able to get to laying position. I don't want to alarm you, because some people have responded well to it. I am also very sensitive to meds. I disconitnued it after that episode. It took me a week to get back to the former usual self.

I hope you are able to get your consults soon. good luck to you.

It is great that you already have the skills to work at home, when you are feeling well. I really miss work and being part of the outside world. Still hanging on- hoping that the day will come again.