Stomach Issues/ Nausea

Hi guys,

I know I told you all that I am having an upper endoscopy July 5th. I ended up having to call my doctor today because the nausea was soo bad. He called in Reglan...again....but this time at a smaller dose, 5mg...Hoping this works.. :(

Have you taken Reglan before?? Be careful with the dosage. I had a high dose through IV in the hospital and it made me very anxious. My GI doc does not like giving Reglan. For whatever reason he said it is not a good medication to be on for very long.

Hi,

Is there anything OTC/foods,etc that helps with nausea?? Feeling aweful and I can't get to the pharmacy to get the Reglan to try either...

Zofran works well for me, most of the time. This of course requires prescription and I am not sure if you have tried this before? Would also require drug store trip. Can anyone else go to drug store for you?

It was suggested that I try Ginger supplements at one time, but I had horrible heart burn from it. Ginger ale, helps unless full blown nausea. I take it a little flat and with saltine crackers.

Does Pepto Bismol help you at all? If you can stand the pink stuff.

Hope you feel better soon.

Emetrol (OTC) works for me- it's basically pure sugar, so it may not help everybody, especially if you've got carb issues. Another thing that helps me is dark chocolate- for nausea and just about everything else! Try different positions laying down too. I find on my back with my legs up really helps, but on my side will kill me.

I know ginger is supposed to be great, but I just can't stand it. Real ginger ale, a little flat, does work. I was told by a doctor also not to drink through a straw, or at least be careful (despite the fact that's what they tend to give you in the hospital). It can make you swallow air, which can make matters worse.

Hi,

When I was in the hospital the other night they gave me Zofran. I couldn't think of the name of it when I talked to my GI doc and he said it might have been Reglan. I see my PCP Tuesday, so maybe he can give me the RX for it. It seems to have alot less side effects than Reglan.

Thanks for the replies.

Jacquie

Can you ask your doctor for Zofran, it dissolves under your tongue and the nausea is gone. It is very expensive medication used for chemo patients- my doctor prescribes 4 tablets a month.

Another thing I found were preggie pops (suckers) at the Red Giraffe that pregnant moms suck on for nausea. They are very sweet and have ginger in them.

Good Luck

Dawn

Yeah, so I'm thinking my insurance won't cover Zofran.....Ughh I don't know what to do, I feel soo nauseas and I tried to eat but it didn't even help out in the least..... :unsure:

Jacquie

Sorry you are having such a hard time with the old nausea. When I mentioned the Zofran, I did forget to mention the cost. I am fortunate that my insurance is quite good, I was able to get 100 pills for $35, with physician request, as this is what helps me more than other meds.

Stay hydrated the best you can and hang in there, crackers, anything.

Call your insurance company to confirm what they will cover, see if any exceptions if other meds don't work?

Hi Jacquie-

I'm sorry you're so nauseated! When I was on Florinef, I was even more nauseated than I am nowadays, so back when I was still working as a waitress, I'd have a glass of gingerale kept for emergencies. It's not perfect, but it seemed better than nothing. At the time, I also tried wristbands (nothing), and OTC anti-nausea medication (also nothing- though I swear when the CVS woman saw me with compression hose and wristbands, she must have thought I was pregnant). I've still never tried any of the prescription drugs, but I feel like since I can still keep down lunch and dinner, then I don't want more medicine.

Good luck!

Does anyone know where you can buy the "pregnancy lolipops?"

They sell the preggie pops at the Red Giraffe, it's a childrens clothing store. Maybe you could check online, I would think they would have a website.

Dawn

PS- Before I had my gallbladder out the nausea was awful, the surgeon told me to take dramamine, that it was as effective as prescription meds. it did help alot. I don't know what other meds you are on but for me with my meds it was fine. They even make a non drowsy formula.

• 1 month later...

Someone just gave me an article from todays Boston Globe about Preggie Pops. It says they are available at the following stores- A Pea in the Pod, Motherhood Maternity, and Mimi Maternity...also at www.threelollies.com

It says they cost about $3.50 for a pack of 7....I'm so tired of the nausea as well, I think I'm going to give them a try. I've currently been using Zofran ODT, but it doesn't seem to work for very long- I guess I'm almost ready to try anything at this point.

Well, I know that this isn't much help, but I can tell you what I CAN'T take.

I can't take Compazine or Phenergan. Funny thing is that the reaction that I have and have had for over 20 years is called a Dystonic reaction. Funny, huh? Dystonia??? You don't say?? Now, I find out about a million years later that there's an entire disease called Dysautonomia. Imagine my surprise.

Funny thing is that I get a lot of those same symptoms now, just on a daily basis (as if I had taken a dose of Compazine, but I didn't!!)

Good luck on your search, I just know that those two drugs can be super bad for me.

Has anyone else been told that they had Dystonic reactions PRIOR to being DX with Dysautonomia???

Just curious.

(((HUGS)))) You poor little thing.

Again, I assume that you already know this, but I've noticed that if I DON'T eat then I get super nauseated. I eat hard boiled eggs. They seem to fit the bill. Not too harsh on the belly, they're protein so they're slow to digest, gives me a little energy and gets rid of the nausea. Then once that overwhelming pukey feeling leaves I eat some soup or toast or something. Maybe it could help you, too? I don't know, but I sure would like to help you if I could......

Bec

Jacquie,

Just saw the part about preggie pops...

I love them, but they won't combat super duper nausea.

I have written about them before on the site if you do a search for preggie pops...

They also have a line of them called queasy pops, for the not-so-pregnant nauseaus folks.

They come in many flavors. They are a bit pricey though.

Emily

Hey everyone -

I've had bad nausea on and off since getting sick in April. Got prescribed Phenergan, which doesn't seem to do much but act as a placebo, giving my mind something to hold onto until the nausea subsides.

What I have found that works pretty well for me is the old stand-by of soda (seltzer water) and bitters. Bitters is an alcohol, which I know lots of us cannot tolerate, but the ratio is only a couple of drops of bitters (up to a teaspoon if you can tolerate) per full 12 to 14 oz glass of soda water. I find the relief from the nausea much greater than any discomfort from the bitters. You can pick it up at some grocery stores (with the alcohol mixers?) and at wine/booze shops.

I'm not sure why this works, but it is not the only thing that gets me much relief - also helps very much with gas pains that cause nausea as well. Mind the burps, though! :D

alana.

Guest dionna

i took the dramamine as well. i found that out when i was getting really bad car sick. now i am trying a new diet. it has worked wonders for me. i am going to post it in a couple of weeks when i have it just right. some of it is already posted under another topic under "diet" by dmaejean. i hope you find something that works for you. i know it is very frustarating. i tried a lot of things and i will continue to if the diet keep working.

dionna B)

I have been vomiting daily for a couple years now and I have tried so many things but I think I have finally found a solution but it has only been working for a couple days so I am not really sure yet.

As soon as I get up in the morning I drink a glass of Milk and take 1 Zantac. I do not have any issues with heartburn but when I get sick, it seems to be mainly acid so I thought I would try it. Every single time I start to feel the nausea coming on, throughout the day, I drink about 2 ounces of milk. I will then take another Zantac around 2 and so far...so good.

Now for severe nausea....and I know this is going to sound strange...but take 400mg of Motrin every 4-6 hours. My son recently had rotivirus and the Doctor recommended this and it worked GREAT! My husband and I have used it as well and it works better then phenergan or any other Rx I have ever tried. It completely stops the cramping in your stomach.

Best of Luck!

Susan

i think i had mentioned the gastroparesis issue earlier...not certain if you ever replied jacquie? (sorry....i read the posts but can't recall them all these days).

i'm mentioning this again b/c - while perhaps helpful in some situations - some remedies mentioned could be harmful if gastroparesis is truly the cause, i.e. taking a decent amount of motrin regularly.

obviously not all nausea is due to GP (gastroparesis), and knowing whether or not GP is an issue or not doesn't always make treatment/relief any easier. BUT....it is a good thing to know b/c it can help point to or away from certain "helps"/treatments.

:angry: melissa

Is there any advice on how to mention getting some testing for gastroparesis??? I have an upper endoscopy scheduled for Oct. but does that even diagnose gastroparesis?? I don't vomit, but I know if I did I would feel better. Whatever is in my stomache just "sits" in there and I feel utterly ill....

hi jacquie -

the most common & widely available testing for gastroparesis is called a gastric emptying study, or GES. it's non-invasive but a bit time-consuming. 4-hr tests give more info but most locations only do 2-hr testing because of expense/manpower. essentially the test consists of eating a small amount of food that has a radioactive tracer in it. it's usually a scrambled egg, though some places use other things, i.e. an egg sandwich, some type of stew, etc. you can't tell that there's anything "extra" in it (the tracer).

they then take pictures of your belly periodically. some places do every 15 minutes, some every 30 to track the food's movement through your stomach (hopefully). this happens until the 2 hr mark (or 4 hr mark) and results (percentages) are tabulated & compared to the norm. as with anything, no test is perfect, particularly for those who may be borderline in terms of what is considered normal emptying time, but it does give you some info about how your stomach is working, as least at that point in time. as with any test you would have to make sure you clarify which meds you should or shouldn't take in advance, etc.

an EGD (aka the upper endoscopy that you're scheduled for) will only show fairly severe gastroparesis and thus generally isn't used to diagnose for most people. the way it can show GP in some instances is if there is food seen in the stomach, as one is always supposed to have been fasting for a decent amount of time. thus....if food is still there (unless the person didn't follow the rules), it's been there longer than it should be.

hope this helps,

:angry: melissa