Cortisol Test

I had normal results on the cosyntropin stimulation test but I was shown to have a below normal reaction of my adrenal glands when put under stress (low blood sugar) deliberately during an insulin tolerance test.

My endocrinologist was at a loss to explain why some of his POTS folks display this. He said some respond well to a low dose of hydrocortisone on a daily basis.

I, for one, am "allowed" to take a low dose of hydrocortisone when recovering from an illness. It helps me get back to baseline more quickly.

I guess mine is low when it should be high and high when it should be low - go figure! My sleeping pattern is so messed up, so I would guess that contributes to the tests results or the cortisols levels mess up my sleep - one or the other!

Tammy

Guest CyberPixie
I've had three cortisol stimulation tests. All three were off, but no one could explain why. They were totally flat. morgan

Do you mean borderline? If so you have severe adrenal fatigue and you MUST get it looked into. There is a possibility of it being Addison's Disease.

Myself it was normal in the morning (tho I was stressed then) it dipped right down at 12pm (when relaxed) and normal at 4pm and 12am (stressed again).

My DHEA levels were completely flat so I take DHEA supplements. So looks like it's possible I have some adrenal fatigue but I need to take it again soon (the test).

I'm sorry if I confused. The initial level was borderline normal, but with the injection, there was no rise at all. The numbers didn't change. The endo said she didn't know what that meant, but she was certain it must be normal, because the initial reading was one point in the normal range.

No one would address it. My doctor did put me some cortisone, but it was a fairly high dose and I didn't tolerate it. The endo wants nothing to do with me. When I looked it up, it said those kinds of results were very abnormal, but people typically had low numbers to start with. As i don't have a typical body, it would explain it, but she was too afraid to deal with it. morgan

Guest CyberPixie

If there's no rise at all, I believe that indicates Addison's Disease. It's very serious. Is there no other endo you can see?

Normal dosage of Hydrocortisone is 20-30mg a day (for Addison's). Strange that a Dr put you on a high dose. There are other options if hydrocortisone isn't tolerable.

Even if you're one point above normal this indicates serious adrenal fatigue. You could try some adrenal glandulars that will help support the adrenals, you don't need a prescription. Most endo's are useless, they don't believe in adrenal fatigue. If you're one point above normal, they class you as normal, if one point below they say you have Addison's, they believe it's black or white and no shades of grey, it's ridiculous.

This book http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/189057215...5Fencoding=UTF8 is great!

Thanks pixie, I will look at it. We have 3 endos in this town and two are in together. I saw two of them in different offices. It was not a good experience.

I do not see very many docs anymore. Just my primary, my gastro, and my ent for my meneires. It is a waste of time and lots of money I don't have. I do not live in an area where anyone wants to know about, or cares about it. Except these three.

My primary will try or do anything to help, and that's all I can ask of him. he does read everything I take him, watched the conference films, has read the books. You name it. He always says the same thing. Yes this is you, but it doesn't tell me what to do!!! So we fiddle about with meds and stuff.

At this stage I am content with that. I no longer feel the need or desire to investigate everything over and over, I am just too tired. I truly admire the stamina you guys show in doing everything to find answers. I feel I have enough answers, and the tests just raise more questions for me.

I will take a look at the book and if it's good, will show it to my doctor. Understand HE is fighting an uphill battle with the doctors in this town trying to help me. I think we are both burned out. morgan

Guest CyberPixie
Thanks pixie, I will look at it. We have 3 endos in this town and two are in together. I saw two of them in different offices. It was not a good experience.

I do not see very many docs anymore. Just my primary, my gastro, and my ent for my meneires. It is a waste of time and lots of money I don't have. I do not live in an area where anyone wants to know about, or cares about it. Except these three.

My primary will try or do anything to help, and that's all I can ask of him. he does read everything I take him, watched the conference films, has read the books. You name it. He always says the same thing. Yes this is you, but it doesn't tell me what to do!!! So we fiddle about with meds and stuff.

At this stage I am content with that. I no longer feel the need or desire to investigate everything over and over, I am just too tired. I truly admire the stamina you guys show in doing everything to find answers. I feel I have enough answers, and the tests just raise more questions for me.

I will take a look at the book and if it's good, will show it to my doctor. Understand HE is fighting an uphill battle with the doctors in this town trying to help me. I think we are both burned out. morgan

That's ok, I understand exactly how you feel (((hugs)))) but having such a low level of cortisol is very serious, don't want to frighten you in anyway but you really must sort this one out.

You could buy a saliva test kit yourself for adrenals, they're not very expensive. They tend to be more accurate than the blood tests. However, your previous tests already show something is not right.

If your GP is happy to try you on meds, perhaps you could ask to try prednisone instead of the cortisone, you only take it once a day unlike the cortisone. I believe it's 7.5mg you need to take each morning.

Do you have any hyperpigmentation in old scars, do the lines on your palms look tanned? Has your general skin colour got darker? Any blue marks on your nails or inside of your mouth? These can all indicate Addison's.

That book is fantastic, one of the best! Highly recommended it.

hi all:)

i been thru the gammet w/ bad endos....oh my....

,,,,,and find most endos are not too focused or educated on adrenal probs...

and labs are black/white to them...with no inbetween dx of adrenal fatique.

it's either addisons....or its 'all in your head'...as usual!!!==arghhhhhh!

anyways, MORGAN>>>>>

noticed you live in spokane, washington.

i befriended a man named Ben Lynch (ND Candidate 2007)....via internet.....

he owns a business called healthy goods....

and i purchased a few things from him.

he is in bothell, washington...i believe...and is shortly to become a naturalopathic MD....AND is smarter than any doc i've been to....and studies under some of the finest.

don't know if you are near him....but know adrenals are one of his peers specialties, and may be able to direct you for some appropriate help!!!!!!

only wish i lived there....!!!!!!!

just email him....or call him....know he'd be glad to talk to you:)!!!!!!

such a great person.....also....

out to make a difference in any way he can, and he will be a blessing to the many who will cross his path.

below is the last newsletter i got from him...

anyways.....huggggggsssss.....hun.....and hope Ben can direct you!

best regards,

Pam Selby [maggee]

====================================================

Natural Health News

from Ben Lynch (ND Candidate 2007) May 2006 - Vol 1, Issue 5

In This Issue

Prevent Weight with Sleep

Histamine & Vit C

Toxic Fruits & Veggies Guide

Dr Michael Murray, ND

Free Shipping!

Featured Product: OxyATP

Health Resources

World's Healthiest Foods

Natural Health Forum

Alternative Medicine Research

Family Medicine Notebook

Environmental Health

Food Nutrient Data

Ask a Health Question

Dear PAMELA,

As you requested - your natural health newsletter and discounts. We are steadily growing thanks to you! We have added two new people to our team, Anna and Jennifer. We also have a toll free phone: 1-877-485-4042! Finally! :)

Prevent Weight with Sleep

According to a study of nearly 70,000 women over a period of 16 years, researchers found that women who slept 5-6 hours or less had significant weight gain (33 pounds more) compared to women who slept 7 hours or more.

Besides the scientific hormonal leptin level influence, my take on this: If you are sleeping more, you are not eating as much. If you are awake more, you are more exhausted forcing you to eat more sugary snacks to keep you going. So - lose weight and get more sleep! Aim for 8 hours.

Side note: Fibromyalgia sufferers are found to have poor sleep history prior to symptom onset. So sleep may prevent fibromyalgia.

Histamine & Vit C

According to Tulane University's research, there is an inverse ratio between blood histamine levels and blood vitamin C levels. What does this mean?

This means that a person with low circulating vitamin C is more likely to be more allergic or sensitive to seasonal pollens, pets, foods and others. Histamine triggers your blood vessels to open a bit allowing your immune system out and about. A hyperactive immune system is not ideal as it causes immune cells to react to more substances. (Very short story to a complex subject, but you get the point!)

Put simply, increase vitamin C intake and decrease histamine. Given that this is allergy season, that little tip may prove useful for many. Put away Benadryl and pick up vitamin C. I find that the buffered forms of vitamin C are easier on the gut. If you can stand the powdered forms, they are way cheaper. Look for buffered vitamin C at your health store.

Read the histamine vitamin C study...

Toxic Fruits & Veggies Guide

Yep I sent this last month as well. But given that it is high time for fruit and veggie buying, I want to let you all know again. I have a wallet sized list of the Twelve Most Toxic Fruits and Veggies to avoid. The list also contains the 12 safest.

This way you know how to spend money on expensive organic produce. Save the money on the safest produce and spend the money buying the 12 most toxic organically. Protect yourself, friends and kids. Tell all your friends about this document. It's free.

Get the Wallet Card Free NOW before you forget...

Dr Michael Murray, ND

You know the famous book author? Dr Murray came to talk with my Practice Management class last week. He is an inspiring man - not to mention an exceptionally talented one.

He has a newsletter which I highly recommend you subscribe. His last one provided information how NSAID's (non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) are basically worthless for many conditions. Backed with research, there is not much one can do to disprove his statments.

He also features a Q & A area that is informative to many. I also feature this service on HealthE Goods but I must say, he has a tad bit more clinical experience and knowledge behind him. :)

Visit Dr Murray's website and subscribe...

Free Shipping!

Your monthly saving's voucher is: BlueSky This voucher entitles you to free shipping through June 6th!

Free shipping is valid through June 6th so use quickly. Pass the voucher code, BlueSky, to your friends and family so they also get free shipping through June 6th! (Please note: valid for ground USA orders only. Ill reduce shipping costs to our international customers by 50%! I hear you!)

Apply 'BlueSky' now for Free Shipping!

Featured Product: OxyATP

Mitochondria are the work force of our bodies. Without them, we are dead. When not working well, we are susceptible and likely in a disease state. When in a disease state, our mitochondria are damaged and must be repaired in order to help pull out of that disease state.

OxyATP provides direct mitochondrial nutrient support. A multi-vitamin is excellent. Soon, emphasis will be on healthy mitochondria in order to maintain optimum health. It is on my radar.

Learn about OxyATP here...

Middle of next month, HealthE Goods will have a new home and new name! Seeking Health will be our new name and website featuring the same products, better service and overall more user-friendly. Take a sneek peek: Seeking Health Please note that Seeking Health is not yet done so do not purchase anything from there! Just look and see what is about to be an excellent natural health resource! I would love to receive your feedback!

For now, continue enjoying HealthE Goods Natural Health Store. We love working with you and look forward to interacting with you again!

Ben

email: ben@healthegoods.com

phone: (877) 485-4042

web: http://www.HealthEgoods.com

Forward email

This email was sent to selbypal@comcast.net, by ben@healthegoods.com

Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe? | Privacy Policy. Powered by

HealthE Goods | 10020 NE 201st St | Bothell | WA | 98011

Pixie, he does give me anything I ask for. I will talk to him when I see him in two weeks, but my guess is, he's going to feel like he has to go with the endos, as it's not his specialty, even if he is waaay smarter.

I think I have a problem with them too, but it's such an uphill battle. I will see if I can find the book in large print. I can only read large print stuff anymore. Thanks again

Maggee, Bothell is around 6-7 hours from me. It's on the west side of the state and I live on the east side very close to the Idaho border. Thanks for the info, although I never use any type of drug not regulated. I have enough trouble with the ones that are! Thanks though....morgan