Doctors Appointment Today

Hi guys,

So, I went to my PCP today for a follow-up. I took the Midodrine 10mg and my bp was 110/80 and my pulse was 59 about an hour after taking it. I feel a little better on it, but it's weird having goosebumps in the heat!! Anyhow, my doctor talked to me about my concerns with side effects of the Midodrine I worry about and he seemed to put my worries at rest.

My PCP is calling me in a week to see how I feel on the Midodrine and if I feel as though it's not helping he is going to call my cardiologist at Boston Medical Center and talk about putting me on the Mestinon (pyridostigmine). I also have a hard time w/ the Midodrine, because I can't lay down for 4 hours after taking it and these days I am sooo fatigued.

My weight went down 4 or 5 pounds which is good. :) I am still on the Carafate for my stomach aches, etc.

The one down point of this apptmt was when my PCP asked me what I did for fun. I honestly couldn't give him an answer. I told him that the hot weather bothers me alot, but that there isn't much I can do for fun. I mean what am I supposed to do?? I have no money to go out, gas is $3/gallon, and I don't feel good enough to go out most of the time.

Other than that...I have a follow up in Sept., oh and when I was at the doctors office I saw that my lawyer had sent info to my doctors, so I am happy about that! :) It seems as though he is doing his job!!

Hope everyone has a good day! :)

Jacquie

Jacquie-

Seems like your apt. was good for the most part. They are trying meds and following up with you. Lawyer is on top of things and I think it is fantastic that your physician asks "what are you doing for fun?" Some don't

ask these type of questions,which are important for many reasons. A person may be socially isolated, perhaps depressed, too ill or other stress factors to be enjoying much. It gives them insight, when they ask.

I agree that it is difficult to have the type of fun we wish we could have- driving, going out, physical activity etc- but I am trying to adjust to keep me sane- music, movies, friends and family over to house-unless I am unable to function at all, reading when I can, a special treat- that I didn't have to make. I have even sent family on a mission to go shopping and suprise me with something, just to make me feel better. I admit that I would prefer to shop myself, but I can't right now-although I am good home shopper. LOL and enjoy surfing the net for items for gifts, etc.. Hopefully will get some from this auction when that comes around!!

Glad your apt. went fairly well- have a good weekend!! It's going to be hot, so hope you stay cool---

Hi Nadine,

I plan on having my AC on the whole weekend!! My doctor really put my worries at ease about things. He even joked (or maybe he wasn't joking, LOL) that instead of reading about side effects, that I read a good book.

Jacquie

You made me laugh about your doctor telling you to read a good book instead of reading side effects. My doctor would prob. tell me the same. He knows that I am extremely sensitive to meds ,which causes me to worry about what the next reaction will be. I just restarted another med and reaction is much dift. than previous times, very fatigued and more lightheaded. Trying to cope at least a week, before I call him-LOL

Hello!

I just wanted to chime in concerning Midodrine. I take 10 mg three times/day as well. I know there is a concern that your blood pressure may go to high if laying down on it but it doesn't seem to be a problem for me. I often lay down and take naps even if I'm in the 4 hour window. I am not giving you advice but wanted to mention this and see if others find that there bp is fine while laying down on Midodrine.

Just thought it might help you out if there is a possibility of sleeping while on it. (I know some of us have problems with low bp and others have problems with both high and low so I'm sure it depends on the person)

What do you guys think??

Take care,

Lisa

p.s. I feel your "pain" regarding the goosebumps even in the heat! I even get them on my face!! Weird!!

Jacquie i am glad thqt your appointmenmt went well!! and if you need some good books to read.. I've got plenty of suggestion... (i'm a major book worm!!!!!!!!! love to read) i could email you alist and maybe your sister (???) would go to the library and pick a few up for you?? be a regular book or on disc! or tape

funny i got asked the same question yesterday by my pcp.. and i told him I sleep.. LOL.. i was trying to be funny... B) he did chuckle...

take care dear

oh yeah.. do you by chance have a recliner that you can lounge in?? if you cant "lay" down on midodrine?

I am afraid, Jacquie, that we frequently must suffer through some unpleasant side effects--like goose bumps, head itching--that go along with midodrine. If the midodrine makes you able to be upright more than you were before, then that would seem to outweigh the goose bumps, head itching. I used to even get chills with the midodrine which was a pleasant side effect during the summer.

Have you tried reclining in a lounge chair with your legs stretched out while on midodrine? That way you can catch a few zzz's.

The side effects with Mestinon--stomach cramps and diahhrea--may be worse than the effects with midodrine. Perhaps you can compare and see which is the best of the two evils!

Lois

Hi guys,

I seem to be doing good on the Midodrine. I hate trying out new meds because of my mothers severe reaction to her medication. My doctor is a good guy though. He is the best PCP I have ever had, and he spends a good 30-40 min. w/ his patients most of the time.

Anyhow, Linda or anyone else I would love a list of books to read! :)

Jacquie

Jacquie-

Glad things are going well on your new med-so far so good!!! :)

For anyone-

I have a question about the goosebump comments. I have this all the time, as well as overheating, hard to describe-but def. dift than my normal hot flashes.

The question is -are those of you who are experiencing this all on Midodrine, because I am not? I assumed it was part of the craziness of all the other odd symptoms??