Bp..how High Does It Actually Go On Meds?

Hi,

I'm just curious how much Midodrine raises ones bp...My cardio wants me to take the 10mg Midodrine Tablets 3 times a day. I plan on taking it tomorrow since I have an apptmt with my PCP, so he can see what my bp is at while I am on it.

Anyhow, I'm just curious about it because my bp can be 90/54 one minute then 126/88, so I'm just curious as to how high the Midodrine can make it go...Thanks! :)

Jacquie

Well, if it's working for me at the moment- i.e. heart rate is down, too, my BP is anywhere from 80s/60s to high normal. If it's not working, that's when my BP really goes up. If they're measuring your BP when you're laying down or have been moving about, it probably will be off of where it would be just sitting or standing while on it. But I've had mine lying down and it's still been too low. If your BP is lower in general than your doctor would like, he/she may prefer your BP to be kept at a more steady rate on the high side of normal, though I suspect if he/she pulls it up from being very low to a low normal range, that'll suffice, too.

Good luck at the doctor!

Yea, I'm just concerned because if my bp w/o Midodrine ranges from 90/54-126/88, etc. I'm just curious how high it is going to get while I am on the Midodrine..hmmm

I see- well, if you *normally* have hypertension, I could see where raising it too high might be an issue. When it fluctuates like that, though, it can be your body trying to compensate. So when I stand, FX, at first my BP skyrockets from superlow to pretty darn high... eventually it goes back down to even lower than it started, but as I put it.. even though it's supposed to raise the BP of a person with OH or NCS, in me, it actually keeps it from getting so high, so in effect, I take medicine that raises my BP in order to lower it. Because it doesn't have to compensate (it being the heart, from blood pooling elsewhere) when meds are doing their job, it should keep things *more* steady.

I think soon you'll get the hang of how your body acts and reacts- it just comes with lots of time and observation! :)

Ahhh, good job of explaining. I'm going to leave a post after my doctors appointment. Thanks! :)