Information For Emergency....

:) HI,

I am going to travel to USA, and my mom don' t know to speak english. If I have an emergency, someone know If in the emergency roms there are some who speak spanish. Do I need to make a pace of paper whith my problem in english?. If I have an emerncy about POTS, the doctors in this rooms know about that?

is there a discrimination in the hospitals for don' t speak english?

My mother is so afraid for the actual situation. I am going to travel for vacations, but the tv say many things and I trust in the things that the people say me inthis forum.

thak you for listen me.

Have a nice day

:)

You should carry something with you that has a list of your problems and medications.

Not all emergency rooms have spanish speaking personnel. I have worked in many where we had no one who spoke Spanish and my own is very limited.

I have never seen any kind of discrimination against anyone who spoke only Spanish.

Personally, I have a Medic-Alert necklace that has a phone number emergency medical people can call and get info about my medical problems and medications and also contact information.

If you will be in NY city, most hostpitals have at least a few bilingual staff to help you. Prior to your trip, you may want to print out a list of all the medications your are taking, with doseages in English, along with a list of your health problems in English. Also, you might want to give a copy to your mother, along with a note that says she does not speak English, just Spanish.

Nina

Oh, and I'm a huge proponent of wearing some kind of medical emblem to let first responders know that you have health problems, and who to contact for information. Personally, I use MedicAlert, and you can get info on their services here:

http://www.medicalert.org

It really does depend on where in the U.S you are as to what kind of bilingual services will be available.

Generally speaking, if you are in the Southern states you will find many more Spanish speaking staff. Do you know what states you will be traveling in? If you do, and you want to list them I might can help you locate some resources. (I've traveled a lot and been sick and hospitalized in many many places)

Either way though, it's safest to try to get everything printed out in English. The last thing you need is a communcation barrier in the middle of a crisis; it can really delay your care.

I would not expect that most Dr's here in the U.S. (especially in an emergency room setting) will know anything about POTS. A few do, most have not heard of POTS. Therefore, if you can, print in English on your paper not only what your condition is, but tell them what you are most likely to need.

For example, you may want to put something like, I need IV Saline, check my potassium, I may need oxygen.

Like others mentioned, list the medications you are on, the doses and how many times a day you take them. Also list any allergies you have.

You may want to print a couple of copies of this http://www.dinet.org/pots_an_overview.htm to carry with you (give one to your Mother).

We have lots of Spanish speaking population in SW Ohio as well. Even the police are learning Spanish.

Yes, try letting us know what states and cities you may be in and we can try to help you.

Good luck.

Sophia

Thak you, :)

I am only going to visit Canada and New York. In Canada Im gointo visit: Toronto, Otawa, Quebec, Montreal. Then I am going to travel in train to New York, I am goin to stay here for 4 days and then I am return to Mexico, city.

There are no many days but I want to be alert. You know that this disease is unpredictable.

THAK YOU AT ALL FOR YOURS WORDS

HAVE A FUN DAY

Hi,

If you come to Montreal to could come and visit me. If you are interested in meeting with me PM me. We could visit Montreal together or go for a coffee somewhere.

It's a good idea to have an English letter with you because when you are stuck in ER the personel really gets irritated if they have to translate a medical document.

Hi,

If you come to Montreal to could come and visit me. If you are interested in meeting with me PM me. We could visit Montreal together or go for a coffee somewhere.

It's a good idea to have an English letter with you because when you are stuck in ER the personel really gets irritated if they have to translate a medical document.

HI, ERNIE

YHAK YOU, I GOING WITH A TOUR, BUT I HAVE ONE FREE DAY, 10, JUNE. I AM GOING TO STAY IN THE HOLIDAY INN IN MID TOWN. FOR ME IT WAS GEATFUL TO KNOW YOU. IF YOU WANT YOU CAN WRITE ME TO MY MAIL jaquirouin@yahoo.com.mx.

HAVE A NICE DAY :P