Assistance Running Errands?

hi everyone! i'm unable to run errands because of my illness. i would be willing to pay someone to help me out, just for a couple of hours a week. i'm not sure where i can find someone to help though. i'm not affiliated with a church, so this wouldn't be a good source. however, for other people reading this, i know that might be a good place to look. i need the basics like groceries and even some cleaning. does anyone have any suggestions?

happy dysautonomia days (as if . . .)

julie

Generally home health agency's do not assist with errands (because insurance only covers nursing care); still you might find someone who is willing to do it for you "on the side" for a little extra income.

You may want to call your local aging office.

What state do you live in?

Are you near a University? If so, you maybe could post something in a university paper about wanting to hire some assistance. In my area, high school students would not really work out because my state laws are strict about who they can have as passengers (generally only family)--this was to try to cut down on teen deaths, drag racing etc.

Your local United Way, Salvation Army may also know of resources you could call in your area.

There are some companies out there (Home Instead comes to mind) that will provide help with errands but they are expensive.

Our local grocery store offers home delivery for a fee of about 9$. I place my order online, and choose a 1.5 hour delivery window. I've been using the service for about 2 months and LOVE it. It's well worth the 9$--I figure it's at least what I'd have to pay someone to do the errands for me.

Nina

Guest tearose

When I was as bad as you sound (hugs to you) I did creative things that didn't cost either.

Like call the grocery store and ask them for free delivery. Or ask the pharmacy that does deliver to bring over milk and bread too. Or my favorite memory...I needed a haircut badly and took a taxi to the salon and then walked next door to the pizza place and ordered a pizza with "free delivery" and asked to join the delivery to my home. :blink:

feel better, tearose

julie -

i can certainly empathize as i can't do errands on my own either (or take care of my apartment) and having moved less than a year ago don't have the resources that i had previously (church, friends, etc.). the only way i get by is that my mom &/or dad come regularly...which is quite a push as they live 2 hours away. i will likely be moving close to them in the near future for this reason.

others have offered good ideas. i have used grocery delivery in the past as well. and even though you are not affiliated with a church doesn't eliminate this as an option. many churches, esp. larger ones, have "classified" adds in newletters or something similar that you could place an ad in. they often don't require you to be connected with the church at all and have little (i.e. $5) or no listing fee. some charge only for businesses not individuals.

they may or may not have anything to offer, but you may also want to call the social work department of a local hospital to see if they have any additional suggestions.

good luck & hang in there,

:blink: melissa

It looks like you've already gotten some great advice. The only thing I have to add is might there be a company in your area that delivers food door to door? We have Schwan's here where I live, and you can just call in an order and they deliver. You can google them to find out if they deliver in your area (I have no idea how widespread they are). Also, if you type "grocery home delivery" into google, quite a few different companies come up.

Michelle