Feeling Better

Hi,

Just wanted to share some positive news.

I quit going to the gym about 2-3 weeks ago and I'm feeling so much better. If I had known that would happen, I would have stopped going sooner! ;)

I still get a work out with everyday life, 2 children and the family pets keeping me active. I have house work too if I have the energy. The wierd part is I've been tring to loose all the pounds I've packed on with pregnancy and the over eating stage I went through. (eating because it hellped the 'sick' feeling).

I didn't really lose more then 5 pounds while I was going to the gym (3 months), now that I've stopped going I start loseing the pounds? I think I've lost 5-10 pounds so far. Some of that could have resulted from the work outs but I know that at least 5-8 pounds has been in the past 3 weeks.

This doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm not complaining. I just hope that I'm ok and not loseing weight for bad reasons. (like a new illness) I still have 10-15 pounds to go to be my ideal weight and I can hardly wait!

I felt like a failure when I 'gave up' but now I'm having more good days, so it makes me ok with the decision.

I want to take the time to thank everyone who has lent me support and to let you know that without it I don't know what I would do......you guys give me hope! Thanks~

Amber

Hi Amber,

I am so glad I have found this forum! I do not feel like a nutcase when I am writing on this forum. So many of you have had experiences that mirror mine!

I used to be a fitness instructor which is when this all began. I too try to work out but always find myself feeling much worse after. I had a baby a year and a half ago. I weigh less now than I ever did and now I am not really working out. I would attribute this weight loss to losing muscle tone although my clothes fit nicely though.

At least something positive comes from this!

Take care

Guest tearose

Well Amber, congrats on feeling better and for the additional time and energy in your life now!

It is so weird that we have that kind of intolerance to exercise. I too get most of my exercise through regular daily activities.

With your two children and pets I am sure you wont become de-conditioned!

Just a thought...

similarly to the mechanism that made you feel tired from gym workouts...are you tired after eating? I had to switch to smaller meals and more frequent meals. It kept me from feeling like I needed to nap after a meal.

best regards

Amby,

I'm glad you realized you were exercising too much for your condition, and quit, but......

If you do not exercise at all, you can then become deconditioned (like everyone else) and make it more difficult than ever to do normal everyday activites.

You may be feeling really good right now because you were overdoing it and you are still feeling the good effects of being conditioned (from exercising).

With time, if you do nothing about it, your tolerance for activity may decrease. I am talking from personal experience.

There is a fine line between overdoing it and stopping all together.

Also, as to weight loss, have you had your thyroid checked for overactivity? Just a thought.

I hope I haven't offended you. I just do not like to see people deteriorate. It is so easy for that to happen to us POTsy folk when we are not engaging in any physical exertion. Especially pay attention to the strength of the leg muscles and the abs.

I'm glad that you're feeling better. I know I couldn't go to the gym, for sure. I really do need to start doing some kind of activity though. I want to start with stretching. I think it might help with all this joint pain. Now if I can just find the energy and motivation. Good luck to you and hope you have lots more better days to come.

Well Amber, congrats on feeling better and for the additional time and energy in your life now!

It is so weird that we have that kind of intolerance to exercise. I too get most of my exercise through regular daily activities.

With your two children and pets I am sure you wont become de-conditioned!

Just a thought...

similarly to the mechanism that made you feel tired from gym workouts...are you tired after eating? I had to switch to smaller meals and more frequent meals. It kept me from feeling like I needed to nap after a meal.

best regards

With me, I notice if I eat small meals I do much better. If I eat, it makes me feel stronger (as long as it's small meals) If I eat big meals it's as if my body is using all the energy I have to diegest (sp) it.

future hope you did not offend me at all, I understand what your saying and I agree.

I still walk everyday and with everyday chores I'm pretty active. I do need to work on my abs....but I get dizzy so easy it's hard to find a way to work on them.

to everyone else, thanks for posting!

I went from not being able to do anything (like house work) to being able to walk 2 miles, then added on from there. I don't have much problems with walking as long as it's not up hill.

Going to the gym just doesn't help me.....I wanted it to, but I feel better not going and have a more normal energy level if I don't go. I have ups and downs but more downs if I do too much.

Thanks for your support!

Amber

Hi Amber:

Glad to hear that you are feeling better.

Lots of people who have fatiguing illnesses feel worse, not better, if they try to "work out." The myth that POTS results from deconditioning is still widely held. It's derived from the notion that there's nothing really wrong with us and that we would recover if we just straightened up and flew right. The problem is that we can end up wasting our limited energy by doing pointless workouts.

You might be losing weight because your overall activity level has increased because you are doing activities that you can do at a reasonable pace, instead of flogging yourself to keep up to a workout pace.

Does your doctor know how fast you are losing weight? My doctor was actually pleased when I gained a few pounds (but I was never overweight).

My doctor doesn't know about me losing weight..he does know that I'm trying to lose weight though.

It make sense how I would be losing weight with the reasoning you gave.

I'm trying hard not to let myself go...meaning giving in to the sleepiness and the weakness I feel on a daily basis, but the workouts were too much.

My house may not be the cleanest and my kids don't get a bath everyday, but I'm doing everything on my own....(husband doesn't help much, although he does try) So now that I don't go to the gym, I'm not as worn out. And that means I have more time with my children and I might even be able to get one more load of laundry done.

Amber