Get Together of Those in NE Ohio?

kim -

i had originally posted about this & really wanted to make it happen...with sights at even seeing if people were interested in a more long-standing support group. my last few months have been rather eventful though (to say the least) which is one of the reasons it has not happened. someone else had also emailed me wanting to help organize & i was waiting to hear back from her (after emailing back myself); i never had and then ended up in the hospital & have not followed up.

i received A LOT of responses though in regard to interest both locally (NE ohio) and from some interested in driving in. i actually kept a list of those saying they were interested, which days/times are best for folks etc. the total number (including a few family members) was around 20 & i know that at least 3-4 additional folks from NE ohio have joined the forum since. i had also planned on emailing the Meet Others list for the area as many on the list are not members of or active on the forum.

people also gave me input re: which type of locale would be best. as always no one thing is best for all but at least a handful of folks mentioned that they would not be able to come if it was at a restaurant due to issues with more stimulation (noise, smells, etc.), not being able to put feet up, etc. some also emphasized the importance of easy parking, accessibility, etc.

i have looked into meeting rooms at libraries and a few other options. one option i had considered was perhaps meeting in a more benign/quiet locale with the option of heading to a nearby restaurant after for those wanting/able to do so.

i'm more than happy to pass on any/all info i've already gathered & would hope to be able to come but can't guarantee a commitment on my end these days.

i'm not trying to step on any toes if you want to organize this...just wanted to pass on what i had already collected.

;) melissa

Hey Melissa,

It was me that had e-mailed you way back when. Sorry we never set anything up...I'm pretty stumped on where to meet without having to go to a restaurant, or having to pay a high price for a meeting room. I'm still willing to help, or whatever, to try and make this happen.

Kim and/or Melissa, if you need anything to get this going, let me know, I'll be more than happy to do whatever.

Patti

hi patti -

i knew it was you but didn't want to talk about someone's email correspondence carte blanche on the open forum ;)

in regard to a place to meet other than a restaurant, library meeting rooms are either free or a minimal charge of $5-15, depending on which library system. i.e. cuyahoga libraries are all free, shaker charges, etc. there may be possibilities at hospitals as well but parking there is MUCH more difficult & often costs $$ itself.

obviously a restaurant is still an option too...i simply wanted to pass on the responses that several people (at least 3) gave to me in regard to the fact that this would keep them from coming at all...

<_< melissa

Hi Melissa,

When people expressed their interest, did you get an idea of where everyone would be coming from? I would be happy to make arrangements at either the Mayfield or Beachwood library if that is convenient for everyone. Either one of those would also be close to a variety of restaurants if anyone would want to do that later as you suggested.

Let me know and I will start calling around to see about availablility of days and times, then I could post and maybe have some type of vote on what is best for everyone?

Patti

Hi Melissa, Patti,

I remembered it was being bounced around a few months ago and got excited, and wondered if anything had ever come of it. I might be able to get a nice sized room/smalll hall for a meeting at our church at no cost? I will check on it on Monday. It's in Parma, across from Parma Town Mall and theres quite a few restraunts close to. I'd also be interested in a more long-standing support group if anyone else is. I don't know if I'd want to organize everything by myself either, maybe a few of us could do it together so it wouldn't be all on one person. I don't know how I will feel at any given day lately. I don't want to step on any toes either, I just want to jump in and be of as much help as I can.

Kim

I would be willing to come.. I live about 2 hours from cleveland...But have no suggestion on location b/c I'm not familiar with the area!! :wub: other then CC :) :) :)

I asked our church about using a room for a get together. They said it would be ok. Usually there is a $75.00 fee to use the Parlor, a nice homelike room with a kitchen. There is also large room that would fit 20-25 people thats no cost. They are going to call me back tomarrow because after I told them what I wanted it for they might waive the fee for us. I'll post when I find out.

Kim

Hi Kim,

That sounds great if you can get the room for free. If anyone would need a ride there, I would have room for two more people in my car. I live on the far east side of Cleveland so I could pick up anyone that lives on the way to Parma.

Keep us posted Kim. If the church doesn't work out I'll start calling some libraries.

Patti

kim, patti, et al -

that sounds great about the church possibility. my only question is about accessibility? i just know some older ones have flights of stairs, etc. and i think the library is a good back-up plan. i have been to a meeting at mayfield library & know both it & beechwood are easily acccessible in terms of getting in & out, parking, etc.

in terms of location, the general gist i got from the many i heard from previously is that people are coming from every side of the city and thus no one area is better/worse than another for the general population. no one locale will be best/worst for all so for a one-time thing i think wherever we can get a good meeting room should be able to work.

if we end up doing something more ongoing we can figure out more what works best for those who are most interested or even alternate locations at times. that's something we could figure out more later i suppose.

thanks for all the efforts/input,

:wub: melissa

Guest Belinda

I :) south of Parma so anyone that would need a ride on the south end of town I could help out...and Kim if there is a small fee I could help out with that also..

Or anyone that live further south that would like to carpool halfway..and DIZZY..good idea you try and come too.. :P

I just got a call back from church. They are waiving the fee for us if we want to use hall/room. The church is wheelchair accessable, it has a ministry to the handicaped and to children with disabilities so most all areas are accessable, the homelike parlor room is right off an entrance and the parking is right there so this would be the best room, plus it has a kitchen, and you'd be able to make tea/coffee etc.... Let me know if this sounds like a good idea? May is kinda booked up, but June on has many open dates. It gets used for wedding/baby showers alot. The church's location is: Parma Heights Baptist Church 8971 West Ridgewood Drive, Parma Hts., Ohio 44130. It is just West of Parmatown Mall (across the street from Walmart with an entrance on Ames as well.) If it's on a weekday we have to be out by 9:30, cuz custodian has to get home. If it's a Saturday it doesn't matter, I'll just get the keys and take care of clean-up.

I don't know how to, but maybe someone can take a poll as to location, best day of week, dates, times that are best...

Kim

hi kim -

that sounds great! thanks so much for your efforts in securing a locale, etc. it sounds like an excellent place to meet & it's wonderful that they're waiving the fee for the nicer (and closer :) ) room.

based on input i got from folks previously weekends seemed to be best...particularly afternoon times. but i also know that many (those with children especially) have different schedules with school ending, summer starting, etc. so it's a good idea to see what is best for people now...especially since there are new folks as well.

i'll figure out a poll or survey to help figure out what's best for everyone.

B) melissa

Hi guys,

As a back-up place in case the Parma church didn't work out, (I called before I saw your post Kim) I called a couple local libraries (Mayfield and Beachwood), they seem to be pretty booked on the weekends, although a couple of week-nites are available. Then I called Hillcrest Hospital. They have both the 14th and 21st of May available, which are both Sundays. Hillcrest is located off I-271 at the Mayfield/Gates Mills exit. If we don't want to wait until June we could take one of these two days. She also said we could book the room monthly or bi-monthly if we'd like to continue our meetings. There is no cost and of course, since it's a hospital, it is wheelchair accessible.

Any night is usually good for us as long as Chrissy's finals are done (after May 13th). Weekends are also ok, after 1:00 pm is best.

Kim, whatever help you need, let me know.

Patti

Patti -

thanks so much for looking into things at the libraries & hospital. if we do want to meet before the end of june &/or if going forward we want to meet more regularly & alternate between east & west side locales it's great info to have.

not knowing anything about hillcrest hospital, what is the parking like? just curious if there's a charge, if it's fairly easy, etc.

after talking with kim we're going to plan on the june meeting at her church but i'll post a poll to see if people would also be interested in a sooner may meeting.

i'm also going to email those on the meet others list...

B) melissa

Melissa,

As far as Hillcrest Hospital (Hillcrest of part of the Cleveland Clinic) goes, there is free parking and no charge for the room either. They also have a cafeteria if anyone wanted to buy any snacks and bring them into the meeting room. The parking lot is very accessible to the hospital and there are many handicapped parking spots.

I'm so glad the church in Parma is working out. Chrissy and I are looking forward to meeting everyone!

Patti