More Symptoms Due To Seating???

So tonight I went out for an hour, because my friend who's a marine is back home for 10 days. Anyhow, I was sitting on a bar stool for about an hour and was very symptomatic. I seemed to be okay earlier, not feeling great, but not too bad. I am wondering if I was more symptomatic because there was no back to the stool....?

Jacquie

Maybe because a stool is taller then a normal chair? Your body is in more of a up right position on a stool as well. Not sure, just a thought.

Amber

I agree with futurehope about dangling legs, I think it increases blood pooling. My 2? is that the whole picture needs to be considered: sitting in a noisy, possibly smokey, restaurant or bar is very (as in overly) stimulating. A backless chair would cause me to slump, and shallow breathing triggers the sympathetic.

For me, talking with an old friend (even on the phone, while lying down) fires up my sympathetic nervous system, I sweat and get exhausted. Lastly, consider what you were drinking or not drinking, talking dehydrates.

You might just have to load fluids before such a thing, sit at a booth and put your feet up, eat something gentle and salty (fries?) and drink something soothing (juice?), and remember to breathe! Hope it goes better next time.

BTW, was he cute? :(

Even sitting in a wheelchair can make me symptomatic- wherever I sit now, I try to sit cross legged, otherwise I pass out or get very symptomatic when I stand up.

Think about it- when we sit, especially on something like a stool, the blood in encouraged to go down and pool in the lower legs.

I suppose you could do what I did in tutorials last term- I lay on the floor with my feet up ON the chair sometimes! :( Worked though!

All of my friends know that I need to have a back on the chair, and it can't be a straight back chair (or the pews at church kill me!). I have to be able to lean back just a bit (like the big stuffed chairs at STARBUCKS!). so, that is where I go. Starbucks. For everything. Ha.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I drank alot of water, nothing with alcohol because I don't drink. The bar wasn't very noisy or crowded, so I'm not really sure what caused my symptoms, I am thinking it was the bar stool....who knows though?! It sure is a real pain in the butt!!!! :(

Jacquie