Difficulty Breathing

Hi all,

At some point last night I developed difficulty breathing and it kept me up most of the night. I was getting ready for bed when suddenly (although not violently) it felt like somthing was weighing down on my chest. It's taking extra effort to get a breath in and out, and becuase of this, I'd stop breathing if I dozed off.

I'm in the process of getting tested for MG, so perhaps that would explain this, but I was wondering if any of you have this symptom as well? Do you know what's causing it?

I know it's not anxiety, and it's a different sensation from the "hypotensive short of breath" feeling, which I describe more like "air hunger". This was true "difficulty" breathing, and it's still going on. I'm worried that if it keeps up all day I'm going to have to go to the er (grrrrrrrr--Lauren no like ER).

Anyways, thanks in advance for your comments.

Hugs,

Lauren

Guest CyberPixie

I get it all the time. I'm not completely sure what it is but sometimes it feels like my chest muscles tightening and I get that all over or something to do with blood pooling maybe.

Lauren,

You need to be talking to someone who knows you and knows that you have positive ACHr antibodies.

I don't want to scare you but you are describing something new for you - something different and this needs to be checked out.

Having trouble breathing is a problem! Get thee to a doctor!

Hugs...........

please let us know how you're doing with that. Difficulty breathing has always been my worst symptom. Have you had any pulmonary tests done? Mine shows that my ability to inhale and exhale is about 50% of what it should be. It seems to take me twice as long to get in a breath as it used to. They think it is nerve damage somehow, or cramping of the auxillary breathing muscles, or something. Basically, they blame it on POTS, but nobody can say why.

Aghhhh!

Diana

Lauren I've had exactly the same thing. I was in A&E (ER) with it last night. It's getting so bad in me that I vomit with the pain and then begin to choke- I can't catch a breath and I feel like I'm going to die. It's terrifying.

MY Cardiologist made me feel a WHOLE LOT better this week by saying "hey, if it was your heart causing this, don't you think you'd be dead by now- you'd have had a heart attack with all the pain you're describing!"

I always tell Drs there's an elephant sitting on my chest, or that I'm trapped in a vice- cos the pressure is in my back too, and comes up into my jaw and down my arms.

Last night the Dr gave me some GTN spray to take away so I'm hoping that might help, as I had it once before in Dundee- it was the only thing that got rid of my pain.

They tell me it's not cardiac- my heart is undamaged; I do know that my heart goes 'funny' when it happens, but it's obviously not that dangerous in me. I guess it must be a POTS thing; perhaps a fluctuating heart rate can cause problems with chest wall muscles and that's what the pain is?

If you can avoid the ER< I would- I hate it! but only you can make that decision; feel better soon. Hugs.

Hi Lauren

I have the same problem shortness of breath when walking, talking and when I sleep. My pulmonary test show my lungs are restricted. Also, I had a sleep study done showing sleep apnea. I never had any problems with my breathing until the pots......Good luck

Persephone,

You changed your icon, I thought you were lucky charm for a moment!

I'm sorry to hear you're still going through all that mess with the chest pain! I can't believe they're not doing more for you...like trying to figure out what the bleep is going on!

You're in my thoughts :)

Hugs,

Lauren

I get short of breath at weird times, and I also have 2 different types, that anxious out of breath thing and the elephant thing. I am still getting diagnosed with POTS so I have no clue what causes it. I was told I have "costochondritis" which causes severe chest pain and I think contributes to the SOB.

my weirdest sx is getting SOB after I eat...I have no clue of its indegestion or POTS related, but is usually when I'm sitting down after eating. ??? weird.

Hope you feel better......mystery sx are no fun!

Hi all,

It's a relief to hear this is not an uncommon symptom. I've discovered that if I prop myself up a little it gets easier to breathe, if I lay on my side (either side) it gets much worse.

I've been keeping an eye on my fingernail color and they stay pink so I guess I'm getting adequate O2, even though the past 2 nights I haven't been able to sleep because of this. I'm going to try to see my doc this week.

Hugs,

Lauren

I am reading Ferril's book and will post more later. But he says that with tachycardia the heart doesn't get enough blood at times. If the norepi is higher than epi, there is vasoconstriction all over the body without an increase in heart blood supply. With epi higher, there is some vasoconstriction in the body, but not everywhere, and the heart gets more blood. One way to tell on yourself is the change in pulse pressure, the difference between the systolic and diastolic pressures. The wider the pulse pressure, the more blood supply to the heart. Angina is the cramping pain of the heart screaming for oxygen/nutrients.

Anyway, anything which helps your heart get oxygen and blood might help. There are nutrients which are said to do this and probably pharmaceuticals (I don't know them).

But it sounds miserable and I hope that you get some relief from and some control over this symptom.

OLL

Guest Julia59

Lauren,

I know what you mean about air hunger. I think I may get the same thing when I have low BP----terrible climbing steps with that------------ :rolleyes:

My husband had that elephant on chest feeling ---then found out he had gerd.

How is your back? I get chest pain---which is referred pain from upper back-----or i'll get chest pain when my tummy is really bloated. My pulminary function tests came out normal----but I did show lowered oxygen when in light sleep in a sleep study, but I couldn't get into deep sleep, so we don't know what happens yet.

When my stomach is so bloated that it pushes up into my chest----that is not fun, and I feel short of breath.

This is something you definately need to get check out------i'm glad your going to try to get into you Doc. If you can't get in---then I guess you will need to see the folks in the old ER------ :D

You could be a litttle ischemic--meaning short on blood near your heart, and that can cause angine type pain, but this doesn't mean your going to have a heart attack-------it's from the low blood volume.

is?che?mi?a ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-skm-)

n.

A decrease in the blood supply to a bodily organ, tissue, or part caused by constriction or obstruction of the blood vessels.

I hope you feel better soon, Take care,

Julie :0)