Extreme Nausea

Hi guys,

Still battling the nausea. :) The Protonix doesn't help much and the Mylanta, Pepto, etc. isn't doing the trick anymore either. What are my other options???? Are there any, because I feel very nauseaus and it doesn't seem to be subsiding..

Jacquie

I get really bad nausea too. The only thing that gets me through it is Zofran. It is an anti-nausea medicine that they typically give patients who are sick from chemotherapy or pregnant women with really bad morning sickness. It has been such a blessing for me. It really helps diminish the nausea, and it doesn't leave me feeling weird like some other anti-nausea medicine. I am really lucky to have a doctor willing to prescribe it for me. I have to warn you though, it is a little pricey. My insurance covers it, but even the co pay is high for it.

I've asked and asked doctors and the only options I've been told about are:

Phenergan (makes me doped up and sleepy)

Zofran (mentioned above- get the sublingual kind)

Transderm patch (whcih I haven't tried yet)

Reglan (some possible side effects)

Domperidone (hard to get)

If you haven't tried any of these, you might ask your doctor about them.

~Melanie

Zofran was my daughter's doctor's recommendation. As soon as it was prescribed, tho, the nausea passed and hasn't been a serious symptom in months. Wish we'd had the Zofran for the year prior when nausea was a daily concern. I believe little meals all day long are a big help. Saltines, popsicles, rice and bananas got her through for a year.

My doc. is getting a call tomorrow. I don't know if I have a stomach bug going on or what right now, but I feel 10 times worse than usual and my usual nausea is pretty bad....

Is Zofran taken once a day or how is this usually prescribed?

Jacquie

Zofran is taken on an as needed basis. I think it can be taken every 4-6 hours. My doctor just writes out a prescription for it to be taken 3-4 times daily, and then I have plenty when I need it. I take 4 mg, but have been given 8 mg when the nausea was really bad. It may not work for everyone, but it has been such a blessing for me.

hey, i have extreame nausea on a daily basis too, some things that help me are lots of tums, and zofran as needed. Last week i had ANOTHER endoscopy :):D down at the mayo clinic. The doctor subscribed a natural substance for nausea called "apple pectin" you can get it at most natural remedy stores. I havent tried it yet, but maybe its worth i try. I was wondering when you get your nausea? is it all day, mornings, night etc.. hope things improve for you!

Hi I get the nausea at all times throughout the day...there doesn't seem to be anything that "sets" it off...

Jacquie