Tachy Question

willow

Hi all,

I'm new here. I suspect I have POTS and found this site while doing some research. Can someone tell me if they have experienced the same thing?: I fall asleep around 9pm and two to three hours later (midnight), I get up to urinate (I have frequent urination, another symptom I guess) and my heart goes into tachy mode. I first thought it might be the wine i was drinking in the evening, and after stopping the wine, I'm still experiencing the tachycardia. Funny thing is, I do NOT get tachycardia when I get up in the morning around 5am.

My symptoms:

- excess thirst!

- frequent urination

- tachy

- dizziness

- left side neck issues w/numbness down the arm

- legs feel very heavy

- can't breath

Thanks everyone

Hello

Those symptoms are typical of POTS, but some of the symptoms could also be indicative of other conditions that would be important to rule out. What tests have you had? A Tilt Table Test is the "gold standard" for diagnosing POTS and is generally evaluated by an electrophysiolgist (type of cardiologist).

Hope you can get a diagnosis soon.

Katherine

Hi there and welcome to the board! Those do sound like the typical symptoms of POTS, but you must have other disorders ruled out before singling it down to POTS.

Jacquie

They sound like POTS symptoms but they also sound like symptoms of MANY things.

Do you have a good Internist to start with? My suggestion would be to rule out diabetes or hypoglycemia, thyroid problems and other "common problems". Maybe see a cardiologist and ask for a 24 hr event monitor so they can record what happens with your heart during these episodes.

Willow,

As everyone else mentioned they do sound like POTS symptoms, but it's best to get thoroughly evaluated.

The wine will definitely lower your blood pressure and make you more tachy and symptomatic. Good thing you cut that out! :)

You mentioned that you don't experience tachycardia at 5am, but you do in the middle of the night. I am very similar that way. In fact, most of my symptoms (low BP, adrenaline rushes, tachycardia, etc) occur after I've been sleeping for a while.

If I have to get up to urinate, I now use a wheel chair to roll myself to the bathroom. It helps alleviate the tachy spells I would normally get from standing up. By morning time though, I'm much better. I have to drink a lot of fluids when I first get up in order to feel totally functional though.

My cardio at Mayo commented that I have mostly "nocturnal POTS!" :) I still experience some symptoms during the day, but they are normally triggered by eating too much, stress, lifting something heavy, heat and humidity, etc. My symptoms are always much worse in the middle of the night though.

Best of luck to you. I hope you find the answers and good doctors you need.

Gena

Guest malosp

Hi all,

I'm new here. I suspect I have POTS and found this site while doing some research. Can someone tell me if they have experienced the same thing?: I fall asleep around 9pm and two to three hours later (midnight), I get up to urinate (I have frequent urination, another symptom I guess) and my heart goes into tachy mode. I first thought it might be the wine i was drinking in the evening, and after stopping the wine, I'm still experiencing the tachycardia. Funny thing is, I do NOT get tachycardia when I get up in the morning around 5am.

My symptoms:

- excess thirst!

- frequent urination

- tachy

- dizziness

- left side neck issues w/numbness down the arm

- legs feel very heavy

- can't breath

Hi there,

I saw your post about tachy and since that is one of my most distressing symptoms I thought I'd write. I too wake up at the same time every night....but mine is 2am. What is interesting is that I wake up at 2am no matter what time I go to bed...whether it is at 7:30pm or 10:30pm I still wake up at 2am. When the time changed (we set the clocks forward) I now wake up at 3am but of course in my body's mind it is 2am. And of course I have tachy. Must be some of circadian rythmn disturbance where at that time of night the heart goes nuts. It is very interesting. I actually was just reading an article about B12 defiency and tachy and dizziness - you may want to check your B12 levels as one avenue before a definite dysautonomia.

Hope you heal soon.