I Want To Go To College In The Fall

I filled out all the financial aid forms just to see what would happen when we filled out my daughters. I checked and I got full financial aid! I want to go back to school so bad but I am scared I will not be physically up to it. How many of you work full time or go to school full time and how do you manage it? It's been my dream to go to college and I want to do it before it's to late and I am an old lady whinning that I didn't do the things I wanted to do in life. It's just this darn POTS. Someone told me that if you have an illness or disability you could have special accommodations? Anyone ever do this and did it help? Do you have to be labeled disabled to get this special treatment? Do you just go to your doctor and have them write you a letter? When I got sick in 04 and was taking a class, I barely made it from the parking lot to the class! A few times I never made it past the parking lot. Just sat there and looked at the distance and felt so weak I just drove home. Got any ideas?

Kim

Have you thought about taking online classes? I know they're not the same, but I'm looking into them bc I just dont have the energy or a drivers liscense to go back to college yet.

Nicole

I go to college full time and work part time. Most semesters I have not had many problems attending school full time and working part time. I do have disability accommodations at my university. My doctor just filled out the paperwork requested by the disabilities office. I get extended testing time and a letter for my professors about being allowed make-up work for absences and extended time for assignments if needed.

The most difficult part for me with attending school is not knowing how I am going to feel when I wake up each morning. So, I have to plan way ahead of deadlines and try to do a little bit at a time. Most of the times, this helps but occasionally I still fall behind.

If online classes are offered at the university you want to attend, I would definetely recommend them. Some semesters I have taken half of my classes online and half of them in person. This has saved me a lot of stress and worry about having to make it to class when I am not feeling well. I can just work at home in my pajamas a little at a time. :D

I'm currently a full time student (although I'm taking this semester off). I agree that making to class was one of my major problems about being in school because some days it is just really hard to get out of bed. I wasn't signed up for disability but I know that if you do, you can get extensions for papers, have people to take notes for you when you can't go to class, and even have professors see you privately so that you can catch up with what you missed in class. I personally like the class room experience and having dicussions with professors and students in addition to just learning and getting credit. However, if just finishing school and getting a degree is your goal and preference, online classes might be a better option. It is manageable at times and sometimes very very hard at times, but I feel as if if you are truly willing to go through with it, you CAN do it, no matter how long it may take you than others who don't have POTS. One advice is to take classes that absolutely interest you....because I found out that if I take a class that does not totally interest me, when I feel sick and tired, I am very easily tempted to not do my work and just go to bed. Take smaller number of classes..like one or two so you can focus on it better. However, I feel like the best way to survive through school/classes with POTS is to communiate with your professor/teacher. Keep them posted and show that even though you have to miss classes sometimes (often), if you say that you are interested, they help you out alot to help you get the credit. I wish you the best of luck! :D

Hi,

Originally i moved from full time school to part time college (eqivilent to community college) and took one term on one term off (gosh that took forever). Now i am at university and have done part time for the past year and a half and this semester is the first time i have done full time study (although i have tried many times before). Can you try part time to see how it goes for you?

I have notetakers and computers in exams. I also get extentions sometimes when my health gets really bad. This is through my disabiltiy unit. Get all the help you can! :D