SBT Swiss Masai Shoes

Has anyone tried these types of shoes--they come in athletic models and sandals? They are designed based upon the walking of the Masai tribe in sand. They are supposed to be good in improving muscle strength and resistance in legs, improving circulation, and helping with postural and back issues. They run about $250--YIKES! So, I would be curious to know if any of you had tried them. When I mentioned them to my cardiologist this afternoon, he said they could be beneficial...but then so could compression hose. However it is so difficult to put high power compressing tights on and the summer makes them even more uncomfortable.

Can anyone help me out on this one? Help finance them, perhaps. I'll be happy to try them out with some funding and be the guinea pig!!!

Lois

I read a review of them once and they were supposed to be fabulous. There was also a review of an insert from Wysong, a podiatrist, which is similar to walking in sand. His were $19 only so I got a pair for my hubbie and me and we both love them. Didn't fix my symptoms, but walking is smoother and they are really comfortable.

I always liked Birkenstock sandals, but thought $90-$100 was bad! The Masai shoes look comfy, tho' I'd be scared I would fall over in them.

Reflexology recommends that we walk in bare feet as much as possible, and over stones and gravel regularly to work out uric acid crystals and sore spots corresponding to irritated nerves elsewhere. It's a whole other perspective.

Thanks for the info. I'll volunteer to be the guinea pig. I read some reviews on the shoes and they seem to help to tone your legs lightly. For me that is important, because small things have added up to make a big difference in my POTS. (They're also supposed help with posture, and I am a sloucher.)

Because I am stuck staying at home a lot more, I've actually wound up saving money since getting POTS. I'd love a pair of Jimmy Choos, but I guess I'll get the clunky MBTs instead! ;) I think any improvement will be gradual, but will post how it goes...

Morgan, I think that they look like a good way to get a bit of exercise (ha, ha, ha) for us people who don't exercise. I think that you can order them from Comfort One by mail...then, if they don't work out, you can return them. I see that people sell them on Ebay at a slightly discounted price but I am reluctant to invest $200 without giving them a test walk.

Lois

For those of you that are interested, here is a directory of stores which carry them in the US:

http://www.swissmasaius.com/shop_finder.ph...8e8b46440f38cfa

I tried them on at a store near me yesterday. I definitely recommend getting fitted because they come in European 1/3 sizes. My size is usually 7.5 and the size I am getting is 37 2/3. I think I am normally 38.5 in European. They didn't have the color I wanted, so I have to wait a couple of weeks until they get in a new shipment. If I'm going to spend that much money, I figure I should at least get the color I want! :)

-Rita

They did feel really comfortable. You feel a little off balance, because the sole is curved. I think the key is that you need to use muscles that you don't normally use to keep your balance. I can see how the shoes would tone your legs and abs. However, from what I have read it is a subtle and gradual difference. I am not expecting any miracles, but it seems worth trying. Thanks again for the idea!

Just tried on my first pair - size 39 2/3 in the grey color. A bit loose in the heel (if your heel tends to be small), though I was wearing very thin socks and my feet weren't swollen from walking. There seemed to be no give at all in the center of the shoe when walking. Because of the lack of give, the slightly loose heel caused my foot to slide more than it should when I walked. There was a very solid sole. And higher than normal height for a tennis shoe. Felt like there was a "lump" in the center when I walked.

I had actually walked into the shoe store in my 3-strapped slip-in Birkenstock sandels. I notice more calf work walking in my Birkenstocks, but.....

The salesman in the store was wearing his Masai shoes and really loved them and said they helped his back problem.

I'm reluctant to invest in them right now since I did quite a bit of walking around the store and, like I said, noticed more calf work from the Birkenstocks I was wearing.

But I'm open to hearing what others have to say.

Well, I ordered a pair, the trip is just a no can do, but can send them back if they don't fit. I have fat feet. I had birks and they killed my bunion! I could barely walk. So the doctor said I needed surgery and left the room. The nurse leaned over and said, get rid of the birks and wear tennis shoes and you won't need surgery. I haven't had any problems since.

Anyway, not to knock birks, they are great shoes. I am hoping these will work out. morgan