Painful sores in mouth and throat

Hi all,

About two days ago, I began to break out in very small, but very painful sores on the inside and outside of my lips, my tongue and all the way down my throat. I've had to start a liquid diet because the pain is too much if I eat, even talking hurts horribly (my whole tongue has a heart-beat :blink: ) The ones on my lips look like zits, but the ones on my tongue are barely visible (they just look like angry tastebuds).

Does anyone get these? What are they? what causes them? I don't get cold sores, and I don't have an autoimmune disease that I know of (although I do have high levels of certain anibodies, but the doctors haven't been able to figure out why).

Also, does anyone know how to soothe these things, or how long I can expect them to last? If they get any worse, or they begin to interfere with my breathing I'll go to the doctor, but I'd like to hold off on that unless necessary.

Thanks,

Lauren

interesting. I would say canker sores but they do not occur on the outside of your mouth. Do they look like white spots w/ a red halo? I use licorice root (just the dgl stuff you can pick up at a health food store) and it helps reduce the pain...if what you have is canker sores. Licorice root helps maintain the covering on ulcers and things and canker sores are mouth ulcers.

Wish I could be more help..

Lauren,

Have you changed meds lately? Antibiotics can cause oral yeast/fungus problems. Allergies can cause canker and mouth sores and it is allergy-season where I live. Because mouth and intestinal cells turn over so quickly, they can heal fast. But some things can slow down replacement of healthy new cells -- folic acid deficiency being a big one (often low, especially caused by some meds.) I have heard that any mouth problem, think of possible vit. B deficiencies of many types. True canker sores are often a calcium deficiency or calcium-utilization problem.

Your dentist or doctor might be able to eyeball it, culture something, etc., and tell you more exactly what it is.

But it sounds awful. I hope it gets better fast.

OLL

just to add on --

I would have your dentist take a look. My daughter gets them sometimes and he has a swab and rinse that can ease the pain almost instantly.

Any chance of celiac disease or other GI issues? Recurring mouth ulcers can go along with those disorders, too.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks guys,

I am going to have to go see a dentist. It's been three days since I was able to eat solid food. The Ensure is tiding me over, but enough is enough. I've got about twelve of the little ****ers on my tonuge and I can feel that I have them all down my esophagus because it REALLY hurts to swallow, even liquid makes my entire throat angry. I've looked up cancer sores online, and I don't seem to fit the bill for those. THe ones on the outside of my mouth (on my lips) look like cold sores, but the ones inside my mouth look nothing like anything described on line. UGH!

I'm worried it's some kind of allergic reaction, but I can't figure out to what. I haven't done/eaten/taken anything different lately.

-agrumpyouchylauren

Hey Dizzy,

I have been doing some research online about a rash that i got on my face (w/ fever) last weekend. When you said "mouth sores," it reminded me of a webpage on Lupus that i was reading. That can be one of the symptoms. You also said your antibody levels were high, so i just thought i'd mention it as a possibility.

Kristen

Hi Lauren, I have no idea if this is at all the same, but I get hives on my tounge and down my throat with certain food allergies. They are sore but also are itchy in my throat. They are different from cankers as they are red, but don't get the whitish centers. Have you tried any antihistamines to see if that might take things down a bit? I thought I would mention this as it might at least help you to narrow yours down. Good luck!

It could be yeast related or an active HHV6 virus which is the herpes/chicken pox virus most of us carry...when our immune systems get compromised it can make it active.

I have this and take Zovirax an antiviral for it...

If it is yeast related you might need an antifungal like diflucan and to go on a yeast/sugar free diet for a while....

Definetly check with your Dr.... Feel Better! ;)

Oh forgot to add if nothing else I would add some acidophillus in my diet to help balance the bacteria.....

Lauren,

I sometimes get these, too....or something like them. Uually when I've been dehydrated and my mouth hurts a lot then add a food allergy. The other posters are right....check w/ doc or DDS and let us know.

Hope you feel better!

love and light, Lulu ;)

Thanks guys,

I've been trying to get to a dentist, but no one will see me that's close enough (I can only drive a short distance, and am NOT safe driving on busy roads or highways). I'm going to try to see someone on monday. I'm still on a liquid diet because my mouth and throat hurt so much. It's sooooo annoying.

These may sound like overly simple ideas, but I'll mention them anyway. (While you're waiting.)

You could try rinsing your mouth frequently with warm salt water. (Don't swallow it or you'll gag.)

You could try the same rinse with peroxide, dilute it if you need to.

These two you may not have on hand:

You could take echinacea, one dropperful four times a day (supposed to do it for 10 days to avoid a relapse.)

You could gargle with strong sage tea, this can be bought at the health food store, but if you had the herb sage, you could make it work.

Hope you feel better.