Doc Apptmt Today...

So I went to stomach doc today and he gave me RX for Protonix...of course ins. doesn't cover it...story of my life! He did tell me to call my cardio and let him know what is going on because he does think it has something to do with POTS, but he is not familiar with POTS. He said if my cardio would like that he (my cardio) may call him and talk about my problem ...

Just figures ins. won't cover the med he prescribed me :) .

Jacquie

Hi,

I have the same issue. The ins wont cover Protonix or nexium because so many over the counter products are available. Find out what your insurance does cover there are many choices and it just may be as simple as getting a pre approval.

Peace

Janine

Hi,

Sometimes your insurance will cover it if your doctor calls and says that you already tried the OTC stuff and it hasn't worked. I don't think there are any PPIs on the market that are over the counter, just acid reducers. Also, did he give you any samples? If you can get 30 days worth, that is sometimes enough to get me over POTS-y GI issues.

Carolyn

I would try the Prilosec but I don't have too much money right now to get it...stinks. I am going to wait and see if my doc phones in something else!

I just called and left message for my cardio, so I'm going to see what he has to say.

Jacquie

Hi

You should be able to access your ins co drug formulary on line, or call them to see what proton pump inhibitor is covered. I use nexium because it is covered by my insurance and it works. Protonix I believe is one of the ppi's you need to eat something when you take it to make it work otherwise it is inactive.

Or call your doc and ask for samples and have his office call your insurance company to get a ppi approved.

Janine

others have already offered good advice/info but just wanted to chime in that protonix does NOT require you to take it with food. it's the only thing that works for me though...i haven't tried "all" the options but had tried several others...

good luck,

B) melissa

Guest Belinda

Protonix is a heavy duty..PPI and you do need to eat with it. I was on it since it first came out before I knew I had POTS many years ago.

I am almost willing to bet what is going on is part of POTS..look at how many of us have GI issues..it is all autonomic..Bev told me that just some of us get hit worse by the GI than others.

Jacquie..I hope things truly start working out for you a little more concerning the meds and the docs.

Belinda

i have been given protonix multiple times when i have been on NPO (nothing by mouth) or only clear liquids. i have been told by 4 diff docs that it either makes no difference whether or not i take it with food.

here's info straight from the prescribing information that confirms & explains this:

"Absorption

The absorption of pantoprazole is rapid, with a Cmax of 2.5 ?g/mL that occurs approximately

2.5 hours after single or multiple oral 40-mg doses. Pantoprazole is well absorbed; it undergoes

little first-pass metabolism resulting in an absolute bioavailability of approximately 77%.

Pantoprazole absorption is not affected by concomitant administration of antacids.

Administration of pantoprazole with food may delay its absorption up to 2 hours or longer;

however, the Cmax and the extent of pantoprazole absorption (AUC) are not altered. Thus,

pantoprazole may be taken without regard to timing of meals."

and

"Information for Patients

Patients should be cautioned that PROTONIX Delayed-Release Tablets should not be split,

crushed or chewed. The tablets should be swallowed whole, with or without food in the stomach.

Concomitant administration of antacids does not affect the absorption of pantoprazole."

both are from http://www.protonix.com/ under "important product information" which is a link at the bottom of the page.

hope this helps to clarify,

B) melissa

Hi guys,

My gastroenterologist told me to take the Protonix in the am a half hour before I eat or drink anything...too bad I can't even get the med just yet. B) Thanks for the replies, as always I appreciate them!

Jacquie

I had the same problem, and my insurance (Cigna at the time) said they would cover it if my doctor filled out a form saying that I needed it. (I don't even ask questions anymore... you'd think the prescription itself meant that, but apparently not!)