Summer Is Coming

As it begins to get warmer out, I am excited for spring/summer but nervous. This will be my first summer with pots and I'm not quite sure how my body is going to react. I have read that many of you cannot stand hot weather and must be in a control temp. environment. This brings up my second question, I love the beach, will I be able to go and soak up rays? I know we all have different reactions being potsy people and all, :D but is it common that we cannot be in warm weather?

What should I expect and precautions to take?

I do hope I can still go to the beach! :)

Nicole

Hi last summer was my first summer with pots and unfortunately I could not go to the beach or even be outside for more than a few minutes. I was hoping that this summer I would be able to deal with the heat a lot better but I just got back from California and although the past 2 months I have been feeling pretty good I took a turn for the worse, I am not sure if it is from the heat or flying or both. Definately take gatorade or ice water with you any where you go during the summer. Good luck and feel good!

Hi Nicole,

You're right, everyone has a different reaction. The first summer Chrissy had POTS there was no way she could've gone to the beach. Since then, she's been able to go periodically IF the humidity isn't too high. For the most part she's always in a nice a/c room!

Even in the winter in her dorm room the a/c is going. Hopefully, where you live you'll be comfortable enough to go and soak up some rays sometimes.

One thing that was helpful for her--those spray bottles with a fan attached to them, it really helped cool her down.

Patti

Hi,

Of all things SUMMER is my WORST enemy. I find that I can't go to the beach because it's too much for me to walk from the parking lot to find a place on the sand to set up my beach towel...just wayyy to much. My aunt has a pool and that works out for me, because the house is right there and it has central a/c, also being in the water is great for me. So you might be able to stand the beach as long as you are in the water most of the time. However, there are some days where I won't even leave my house because it's too hot and humid out.

Jacquie

Heat is my arch enemy. However, I now live in Florida and I can tell you I will be at the beach one way or another this summer! What I have found is that I can still do many of the things I did before I got sick but just in differrent ways. Will I be laying out in the sun this summer- no, way! But, in the late afternoons I will be on the beach with my kids. I will be spending a lot of time in the pool. And during the hottest part of the day, I and everyone else who ISN'T sick will be inside. Our summers really leave you no other choice, no one can handle this kind of heat. So, just pace yourself and listen to your body. But don't get discouraged and think your going to have to kiss the beach goodbye. You may just have to do it differrently. I can't wait for summer!

Carmen

I grew up in missouri and was sick the whole time pretty much. Basically you have to have air conditioning in your home and car but I found it is best not to turn it on too much...ie: let house/car get too cold because then when you have to go out or go from outside to inside it can trick ya off. This bothers me anyway...I usually just keep things cooler than outside... When we go to florida every summer we do this and it is ok for me. Otherwise I lived in the pool. I took a nap in the afternoon when the sun and heat were the worse. Now I live on the oregon coast where we never get above like 60 degrees....but periodically I drive down thru california to see family or into the valley in oregon and it can be real hot (high 90's or into the 100

s. I put an ice cube under a light sleeping hat on my head and an ice cube in each err side of my bra...then just dont get out of the car cause you will get funny looks. (-;

My car does not have air conditioning.... so I improvise.

Also sucking on ice cubes is good. I used to make ice cubes out of lemonaid and orange juice. I loved, loved, loved those as a kid. They would let me be outside with friends (in an inactive way) on hot days and not feel horrid.

My advice is to always have LOTS of water with you - don't get dehydrated. And if you do partake in enjoying the sun, be careful when you stand and don't get too hot...again lots of water. I've enjoyed the beach with my daughter and significant other quite a bit and sometimes it does leave me feeling bad afterward, but my daughter loves the sun and water, so I go for her and just pay later.

What really does it for me, however, is not really the hot sun, but the running in and out of hot weater and then air conditioning. My body can't regulate temperature very well, so I find myself having many headaches. This even occurs in the winter but without as much frequency. I typically don't like to turn on the air conditioning because I like the one steady temperature better than running in and out all the time.