Gastropareses---and diet plan

Guest Julia59

Guest Julia59

I don't know if you remember---but several days ago I posted about a man who has a daughter with severe gastropareses. He asked about what type of diet that might help. He knows the samll infrequent meals are good, but what types of food to eat he really didn't know much.

They saw a good ANS doctor at University hospital in Cleveland---he seemed to be pleased with him. He said he will help coordinate all her care--including her gastro care.

I did do a search---but my neck feel so bad right now---and any minute my head could roll off---LOL. Really my neck is killing me from sitting at this computer.

Any ideas?

Julie :0)

bald food to start with and work her way up to more normal foods SLOWLY would be my opion..I guess bland that is high in protein.. I'm not sure..(i'm in the boat of virtually no food these days.. so i can sympathize!!)

i'm glad that she found a doctor to help her.. I hope that she starts feeling better soon.. sorry i cant be of more help..

All dieting needs to be tailored INDIVIDUALLY.

But I did find this site on a quick search, Julie. VERY STRICT the early stages. My gripe is WHERE does one find fresh crackers!! The box stuff at groceries taste stale when I open them but I digress.

http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs08.htm

Also found this one

http://www.acg.gi.org/patients/gihealth/gastroparesis.asp

Fiber should not be eaten especially in bad stages. Can cause a bezoar.

Guest Julia59

Thanks Girls--------- :angry:

I'll send the guy this link. Nina----The Man ---(Dave) told me that Zelnorm didn't work for his daughter, but I was told that a couple conversations ago----and yesterday he said she was doing better, but did not say if she was off the zelnorm, but he did say that she was being taken off the nexium.

I think Zelnorm is like many other meds--great for some, bad for others, and does nothing for a few others. For me, I'm now up to the full standard dose of 6mg 2x a day. It's not working as well this week, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

As for the bland diet and small meals--that was when I was in my worst crisis. When I've got slow, but still motile guts, I keep with high fluid, high fiber (and glycolax). This is where I hover most of the time...

I try really hard not to use stimulants (extra coffee, tea, or stimulant-based laxatives) because it makes matters worse in the long run (for me). The stimulants do work, but then I get many days of no motility afterward. I have to be *really* bad before I try the stimulant route.

I hope your friend's daugher is doing better soon. Nina

I am currently on the potato soup diet... thats all i can seem to manage. I do use reglan occaisionally to empty my stomach, only when I look ready to give birth tho.

I think juicing fresh fruits and veggies helped me the most. I gave up on regular food a long time go. Can this girl walk? Moving around helps move things along.

Janine

I checked out those links, they are good.

sophia already posted two of the links i would have passed on but i have two more links for you that have pretty detailed dietary suggestions. obviously a doc or nutritionist should be in the loop though as well.

this is four pages and is a bit more general:

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/inter...paresistips.pdf

at thirteen pages this includes detailed dietary suggestions/ diet plans, recipes, etc.:

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/inter...ARESIS-DIET.pdf

in general - when someone is REALLY not doing well - fiber & fat are both on the no list. i couldn't handle either last year for about four months and had to do almost all (about 80%) liquid nutrition. nausea that is a problem in and of itself though is different food-wise than when it is known that gastroparesis is the culprit. obviously they can coexist but in terms of what foods are best tolerated it does make a difference. my thoughts/comments have been geared toward gastroparesis.

hope this helps,

:D melissa

Guest Julia59

Awe----thanks so much everyone---------this man will be really happy with what you all found for him and his daughter. I think she can walk----but she is really ---really sick. From what I understand she is missing a lot of school-------we are both hoping she will go into dynakids as she is only 16, and hopefully she can find some people her age to relate with.

I will paste this whole thread into my e-mail that I send him.

You are all really a wonderful bunch----------- ;):D

I'm going to try and rest this coughing head of mine........