Punctal plugs for your eyes

PattiL

Hi everyone,

The saga continues...Chrissy is still having so much trouble with her eyes. They're constantly burning, red and achy with or without her contacts. She's been to a allergy Dr.--nothing, so we're assuming this must be POTS related like everything else! She's had two shirmer's tests (which determine just how dry your eyes are), she's tried all types of eye drops including restasis. Nothing seems to work. We're seeing the opthmalogist again this week and I think the next step is going to be the plugs. I hope they help, but just wondered if anyone else has had them and with what kind of luck?

Patti

Hi,

I am an eye doctor and may be able to help you somewhat, although without seeing her, this is a bit of a guess. There are many different causes for dry eyes. Depending on the cause, I will usually go with a steroid drop to reduce inflammation, and start Restasis meanwhile ( it takes at least 90 days for Restasis to get to its full effect, BTW), then go to plugs if the patient is still having problems.

Plugs can be great (I have them), and I doubt you'd have any problems with the insertion procedure. Your major medical should cover it, too.

You want to be sure your allergies are under control and that your eyelids are healthy (no blepharitis, crusts, flakes, plugged glands, etc.). Actually, I guess your doctor will need to be sure your lids are healthy!

I don't think dry eyes are a direct consequence of POTS, though. POTS can be worsened with horSo, they may be entertwined.

I hope your doc is able to help you!

Diana

Hi Diana,

Thanks for your quick reply. Chrissy wasn't able to stand the restasis, she said it felt like she was pouring acid into her eyes. They even gave her another drop to take some of the sting out of the restasis, but it didn't help. She couldn't even close her eyes to make them feel better. Her Dr. said the same as you, that it would take 2-3 months for it to have the full effect. She refuses to try again since it hurt so much the first time. We're going in on Thurs., we'll see if there's any other suggestions before going with the plugs.

Patti

Hi again,

If her corneas are really irritated, the restasis can burn more. You can ask him about a steroid drop for SHORT term use, and if the corneas clear somewhat, she may be able to tolerate the restasis better.

Are her eyes dry enough to need an ointment at night time? You can even try the "stick on" goggles at the sporting goods store for night time, to preserve the moisture. They are individual goggles (no straps or anything) and have a mild adhesive. Oh, and be sure that she doesn't sleep with a ceiling fan on!! Ever!

Good luck to you both,

Diana

I responded early today, but it never posted. How odd. I was surprised to hear she wears contacts. My doctor refused to give them to me many years ago when my eyes started bothering me. I have to use those really expensive kind of eye drops that are single use things because the preservatives burn like fire in the other ones.

I was having a lot of trouble and went in and had some kind of pitting on the eyeball, can't remember what they called it, sorry. So I had my tear ducts cauterized. It has helped a bit. I tend to have tears run over at times, but have not had the pitting again. They still bother me quite a bit when reading or doing stuff that makes me blink less or something, but am not sorry I did it.

Permanent plugs....morgan

• 5 years later...

I know this was posted a long time ago but I just thought I would chime in. I have extremely dry eyes (from sjogrens) and got punctal plugs the beginning of this year. The area AMAZING!!!!! They have brought so much relief I cannot even beging to describe it. I still need to use eye drops, but at least now my eyes do not feel like they are going to dry up and fall out of my head! :blink:

The insertion was really the only part that was a little uncomfortable, but the end result is worth every second you spend in that chair!

I hope this helps you or anyone else considering them :D .

I am with the others who have plugs-Go for them. They are great. I had a plug in my left eye which worked well until I lost part of it and had the rest removed. The eye doctor re-attempted to replace my plug, even adjusted size and unfortunately was unable to do so. I now use Restasis, which doesn't work hardly at all. I would love to be able to have the plug back in because it worked so well. I say Go for it.:)

mwise-

When my right plug kept coming out, my neuro-opthalmologist cauterized the tear duct sealing it completely. Now I don't know how many of my dx went into her thinking - I know she mentioned cauterizing another of her patient's with EDS. Also I had plugs for 7 years or so and so had a long history of dry eyes. Still worth considering - I did not think I could feel the plugs but I actually feel the plug in my left eye as the right one is more comfortable. I actually can just use eye wash now when my eyes are extreme instead of the expensive drops - you know for those times you want to remove your eyeballs and soak them.- but they are not as often. Restasis never really worked for me.

noreen

Yes! Cauterizing them may be a good option! I am wondering if your one plug is in far enough? You should not be able to feel them unless they are sticking out too far (that happened to me and I just returned to my eye doctor and he pushed it right back in, :) now its great!)

Reen & Rizz,

I like the cauterization idea. My eye doctor did mention it, but doesn't want to go that route yet for me. He thinks I will have problems down the road with it. I wish he would reconsider because I am seeing no benefit from the Restasis. I don't like crying all the time LOL. I am going to keep on him about it. Thanks :)

I had one punctal plug put in one eye, initially I felt a difference but then I didn't. When I went back, we decided not to get the other one done and just to continue with all the drops and ointments. As for the Restasis, my dr. recomended putting in frig to help with the burning, it does seem to help. I also put in Genteal nighttime ointment prior to bed which seems to help also which is over the counter recommended by dr.