Pain in legs/feet when standing

Jacquie802

Hi guys,

I am wondering if the pain in my legs and feet is due to the blood pooling. Today I was walking around for about 15-20 min. and then my legs and feet began to feel heavy and it got to be painful. My neuro suggested compression stalkings a while back and since I didn't have insurance I declined, also because I am always hot, etc. Does anyone think the stalkings would help?? Also, I wonder if my insurance would cover them...Thanks for any input!! B)

Jacquie

The compression stockings do help many people and are certainly worth a try. Some people find the more effective ones are the ones that go from the waist down (not just to the knee or thigh).

Ask your Dr for a prescription and find out what pressure he wants you to have, then call your insurance company and ask if they will cover this (tell them you have a prescription).

The other option (and one you should try to do regardless of the above) is leg strengthening exercies. The better your leg, thigh, buttock muslces are the less blood will pool into your legs ---it doesn't stop the process but can greatly reduce the problem. If you insurance will not pay for the stockings then find out if they will pay for physical therapy. If they do, talk to your Dr about getting PT for leg strengthening.

Hi! Just started doing some pilates...I am finding that alot of the exercises I am unable to do B) . I'm not quitting though!

Jacquie

i definitely think the stockings are worth trying. not all are able to tolerate them but trying them can't really hurt. unlike some meds if they're not a good match for you all you have to do is take them off. personally i can't always wear them (b/c of skin irritation/rashes &/or temps in warmer seasons) but when i can they help. not a fix-all but better than not. my insurance buys me two pairs a year (with an RX) but if you have a problem for some reason there are some you can get pretty inexpensively; they don't wear as well but would allow you to see if they help you before making more of an investment if you have to pay out of pocket. insurance should pay though....

B) melissa

I also have pain in my legs and feet. Although when I wear the stockings I have a different kind of pain. I can not wear the short ones at all, I wear the waist high ones, and they seem to do ok for a while then my legs start to ache and when I take them off I have horrible pain in my legs. But thats just me. My insurance would not pay for my stockings at all. I found them at the pharmacy for about 25.00 so I have 2 pair. Vanessa

Jacquie--I definatly think/feel that the pain in your legs is realted to POTS/blood pooling.. I get some nasty pain in the old leggers if I stadn on my feet to long. or walk a distance that is more then i can physcially handle (which these days sint much B) )

Um.. for me if I over do it on my feet.. it sets off a sever pain domino effect..

I would recommend compression hose as well.. if you can tolerate wearing them..I have a fw compression type.. and fouind that hwen I can tolerate wearing them that 30/49 waist high compression works best.. I cant really waer them much due to pain in my legs.. and the fact that they are very warm to wear and casue to to get really over heated...

oh and this might sound kinda goofy.. but having a really good sneaker that suports your foot and that is comfortable also can help with some leg pain.. I realize that a really good pair of sneakers can get pricy.. but is well worth the investment if it brings you some relief..