Hi All....I need some advice....I'm a newbie!

Marli

Hi All,

I'm new here. I have been having problems with lightheadedness since July 2005. 7 Lonnnggg months now. B)

I usually get lightheaded after being up standing/walking for about 20 minutes. And am REALLY lightheaded after eating a regular size meal for about an hour & sometimes more. If I continue doing what I'm doing when this happens I get somewhat short of breath. I feel like I'm 80 yrs old and am having a real hard time keeping up with my 2 active preschoolers ( I have an almost 2 yr old boy and a 3 1/2 year old boy). I was tested for pulmonary embolism, arrythmias, anemia. I had a coronary calcium scan to check for heart disease & had a score of 0, had a normal echocardiogram, my thyroid was low but is ok now on medication. I thought it was possibly my inner ears, but the ENT said it isn't, I was told it could possibly be due to anxiety, but I know that it isn't & the only anxiety I have is that they aren't finding the cause of my problem. Then I came across information on POTS and my symptoms fit exactly. What a RELIEF!!!

So I brought the information I found to my doctor, and he had never heard of this !!??? My 30 day heart event monitor readings came back showing that I was tachycardic during my lightheaded episodes. And I have an appointment with a neurologist March 6th. A month from now. I have to travel 5 hours to see one.

So anyway, my family physician prescribed Atenolol, which seemed to help some the first few days. I've only been on it for 5 days. But today I am real lightheaded even though I'm being treated. Does it take a while for it to help? I'm only on 12.5 mg/day. My BP and Pulse have been good all day during these spells.

I have been drinking boullioun soup to add extra sodium to my diet. Normally my sodium is just below normal when I go in with symptoms.

So....... what do you guys think? Does it sound like POTS?

I"m so glad to have found this forum. (-: and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

Thanks! :P

Well, we're not really supposed to diagnose anyone on this forum, but it sounds like it could be POTS. You can be diagnosed by having the doctor do a tilt table test. Do you know if the doctor you are seeing is familiar with POTS or at least NCS (neurocardiogenic syncope)? You might want to ask his secretary.

Anyway, I'm sorry you're having problems and I hope this website and forum can be of help. Welcome!

I am not a doctor, however these symptoms could be POTS.

However there are numerous other illnesses that have similar symptoms.

Asking your doctor for a Tilt Table Test (TTT), would be the first place to start - they can normally diagnose POTS there and then (In my experience anyway).

If it is POTS, don't worry, it's not a death sentance - some common sense, and change of lifestyle (for me a radical change), can make the symptoms less problemlamatic.

And, if it is POTS, you'll find this forum a useful tool for asking questions, venting etc.

I wish you the best.

Daniel