Anyone get Canker sores

Wufflebear

I go thru bouts, particularly if I am having trouble with swollen glands, of getting canker sores. usually they will come in tandem with either a UTI or hemmeroids...fun topic eh? For a long time they have come for two weeks then will be gone for a week tops, then return. A few months ago I switched to the Biotene toothpaste and it has helped cut down on them, but man these are yucky.

Anyway, one time I had 13 canker sores at the same time....YUCK

Anyone else get flare ups of these? I think they are related/triggerd by my autonomic problems.

Edited by hmichel

Have you been tested for active HHV6 virus? This virus lives in most if us and is what causes cankor/cold sores... if you have ever had chicken pox or shingles that is the virus... For most people this virus lays dormant unless you get a cold/or stress and a flare happens.

Anyway, many people with chronic conditions can have a permanently active virus... This virus is systemic and when active the sores will be in your throat, stomache etc etc...causing the swollen glands.

I tested positive for active HHV6 b/c I have Lyme Disease...

I take a daily antiviral to keep mine in check.

Its a thought maybe you can bring up to your Dr.

Take Care.

Thanks for posting that article, it seems really interesting. I get really really bad canker sores too. And it usually correlates to times when I am feeling worse. And I get sore throats/swollen glands when it happens too. I have had canker sores the size of nickels. It is horrible! And I get them in the back of my tongue/throat. It is really strange, and uncomfortable!

I too go through bouts of having a lot of them. One thing that works(the best I have found) is Acidophilus. It makes them go away much faster and helps to keep them away. One time I took one when I started to get them and it made them go away the next day and kept them away for 2 months. But, yeah, I definitely get them.

Hello, Heather: I don't know if this will help you or not. During chemo, I got a lot of mouth sores (tongue, lips, inside cheeks) the doctor prescribed "Magic Mouthwash." It was a prescription made up of kaopectate, benadryl, lidocaine, and mylanta. I think those are the ingredients. I swished it in my mouth for awhile and then swallowed it. It made my mouth numb for a bit; it really helped out. Perhaps you can ask your doctor or dentist about this Magic Mouthwash. Hope you are feeling better.

Loi9s

I used to have a bad time with them. Dr. said its the same as whats in your stomach. I don't have stomach ulcers. he also said it was stress. I have found taking a wet teabag (I use green) and laying it on the sore on and off thru the day will reall y help. Of course Oragel at the immediate onset can sometimes ward them off.

I take Zorvirax a prescriptinon antiviral for mine.... It has helped tremendously! Although I owuld like to so somethign more natural long term . I have been researching L Lysince since this was what was used to keep the herpesd virus at bay years before antivirals came out.

Funny thing is my cat has active HHV6 and when hers gets activated I give her 500mg 2x a day of L Lysine in her food...

Of couse talk to your Dr about that one before you take what my cat seems to feel helps!! LOL <_<

It's like a sore that forms if you ever bitten down hard on your lip and it gets very sore until it heals. Only you don't have to bite wrong to get them. they just show up. If I eat too much chocolate or fresh tomatos I'm sure to get them, also when I'm stressed or sick. I think some people are just prone to them. I'm the only one in my family to get them.

a canker sore can be caused by many different things....it is always IN the mouth as opposed to a cold sore which is OUTSIDE of the mouth (i.e. on the lips).

here are several links:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/canker-sore/DS00354/si=2765

http://familydoctor.org/613.xml

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000998.htm

i haven't had any in a while now but had them really bad non-stop for awhile a year and a half or so ago. and at other times in the past. the last time it was surrounding my diagnosis/flare-up of ulcerative colitis so that was thought to be my "reason". (there have been connections seen/found between mouth sores & inflammatory bowel disease.)

i get less-painful & shorter-lasting, albeit annoying, sores if i eat fresh pineapple or a few other random foods. my father & grandmother get this to an even greater degree & with more foods (i.e. apple skins, & to the degree that their lips/mouths swell some). this "allergy" seems to be lessening as the generations pass.

certain nutritional deficiencies can also contribute to sores.

but there's no direct link to dysautonomia....

B) melissa