IBS

Jacquie802

Hi, around the same time I had the first symptoms of POTS I came down with IBS. Is it related anyhow? I must have jinxed myself the other day, because I haven't had many problems with the IBS. Right now I can't move, I am hunched over and in PAIN!! Is there anything that helps? I had a RX for Protonix, but it prob expired by now. I thought you were supposed to feel better after using the bathroom...?..I don't. Ahhh, atleast Idol is on to keep me distracted...sort of. :)

Hi, around the same time I had the first symptoms of POTS I came down with IBS. Is it related anyhow? I must have jinxed myself the other day, because I haven't had many problems with the IBS. Right now I can't move, I am hunched over and in PAIN!! Is there anything that helps? I had a RX for Protonix, but it prob expired by now. I thought you were supposed to feel better after using the bathroom...?..I don't. Ahhh, atleast Idol is on to keep me distracted...sort of. :)

The two are related. I was constipated when I was better and now that I have relapsed I have lost 10 lbs in a month and a half and can't stop going to the bathroom. My gasterenterologist said this is a classic symptom. I had pain for a while a few weeks ago and now thankfully it's gone. yours will too! Try eating more frequent small meals. Susan

Hi,

I understand what it's like to have bouts of IBS with pain and trips to the bathroom.

With me, these bouts are unpredictable. I've had tummy problems since high school.

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I do have my own theories. I do think the working of the gut is related to the function of your autonomic nervous system. In my case, I theorize that an autoimmune process has affected my ANS and has a role in the formation of my POTS symptoms. I also think that an autoimmune process may have a role in my gut dysmotility.

I've yet to figure all this out, but I do know how unsettling it is when your body has a mind of its own.

I also think it is an easy "out" for a doctor to say you have IBS. Then they don't have to look any further for reasons or for answers. You then join a group of similar patients with similar problems. My "gut" tells me that there's more to it than that :)

Seriously, I hope your bout of IBS is over soon.

Guest Belinda

Hi sorry to hear your in such pain..I went from not being able to go to having the runs every day..

I tooo was diagnosed with IBS and am also on zProtonix.

I get severe pain also..I think it has to do with gas build-up behind our stools?

As gross as that sounds. And then to have the rtuns on top of it.

YUCKY!!!!!!

I was thinking the same thing about American Idol..man are some of those singers/wanna be's hilarious!

I have asked the same thing on the belly pain deal..will keep watching to see if anyone has any ideas!

Take care...hunchin over with ya..Belinda

Hi guys, pain is def. still here. I was looking online for symptoms of IBS, because I had really bad back pain at the same time as the abdominal pain. I'm going to call my PCP tomorrow. I hate going in though because sometimes I think that they get annoyed with me coming in so much. It's just that I want to make sure that I don't ignore a serious problem. Anyhow, I noticed that the back pain wasn't a symptom of IBS, or at the very least it wasn't listed...does anyone here get the back pain with IBS.

Also, I started the Zithromax today, so maybe that made me feel cruddy?? I have taken it before and never felt this bad, but today I had to take 2 pills, because thats what you do on the first day you take it. I'm not really sure what to do. Last time I saw the Nurse Practitioner she was nasty to me because of the disability forms she had to fill out. It's not like I can help it....anyhow thanks for the replies, like always they are appreciated.

Jacquie

Hey Jacquie,

Boy do i understand IBS pain. My best relief comes from drinking a daily fiber drink...Citrucel is my choice. It regulates constipation and diarrhea both so you don't keep going to either extreme. It's not a total cure, but it made life so much better for me. Also it reduces the pain if i do have flares. Mild exercise also helps a lot....as well as laying off of dairy and not eating large, heavy meals.

Hope this helps. I know how awful the pain is and hope that you feel better soon. Sometimes antibiotics can increase the chance of flares. And yeah, it can be related to POTS. The digestive system is controlled by the autonomic nervous system. I had my IBS years before i was diagnosed with POTS though. Keep an eye on the back pain...like you said, that isn't typical of IBS.

Hang in there,

kristen

FWIW - The back pain may be due to the fact that your gut is in an uproar. When I had a tummy flu a few weeks back, the gut was so bad that my back hurt. There's some neurological referral of pain, I think.

And yep, I'd suspect the zithromax. I would tend to suspect anything new, especially antibiotics. Isn't zithromax an antibiotic?

Yep, Zithromax is an antibiotic. I feel a little better today. My stomach isn't too great, but what else is new?!

Jacquie

Guest Belinda

Hi..Maybe your back pain is due to spasms happening in your intestines. I had such bad back pain recently which I can maybe attribute to the fact my body was trying to miscarry..but in the same token I think it was from contractions which are in fact muscular spasms.

Is the back pain lower? Like Kidney area? And are you urinating okay/and does it have any odor to it?

Maybe a UTI-if any of that is the case..just an idea.

Hope you start to feel better..feels like when one are of my bosy feels better something else malfunctions!!

Gotta Love it..eh?

Hi Guys, I'm really wondering if the IBS is what caused all my symptoms last night....? I feel really nauseas still almost worse than last night, but I don't have the stomach and back pains. I'm going to call the pharmacy and ask if they think the Zithromax would still be in my system and I guess I am going to have to cave in and call my doctor tomorrow.... :) . I just took some Mylanta so hopefully the nausea gets a little better.

Jacquie