Coughing Spasms

Jacquie802

Does anyone get coughing spasms?? I have been having them alot lately and when I get them I feel like I am going to pass out. Today I was coughing for about 10 minutes and I was close to puking, but then I felt really faint. Cold water, hot liquids, cough drops...nothing makes it go away.

I don't get this, but my aunt had this for a long time. She would cough so hard she would throw up. She went on antibiotic after antibiotic thinking it was bronchitis, but nothing would work. It ended up being that acid reflux was causing the problems. It sounds weird, but acid reflux apparently can induce coughing fits. I think her doctor explained it as something to do with the gag/coughing reflux. She didn't think she had it, but when she went on an prevacid the coughing spells pretty much went away. Obviously there are lots of reasons that coughing spells can occur, but I thought this was a pretty interesting and unknown one.

Guest Belinda

Jacquie- I have them so bad I constantly think I am goiing to throw-up especially when i first wake up, I think they have to do with the vagus nerve that is also contorlled autonomically to a point.

Mine is like a cough and then I gag after coughing so much.

Jacquie,

I have coughing spasms all of the time like that. But I have asthma, smoke, :P , etc.

I know I need to quit, but told my doctor I would do so in 1 year, as my life was too stressful at the time.

(sick child, divorce & disability for me etc.). So I keep saying when my life with regards to all of this is settled, then I will quit. :lol: My doc agrees that if I try now I will probably fail. Pyschologically, I am coming to terms with it more and more all the time.

I hope that your cough improves, I do cough to the point I can't stop, and do throw up from it sometimes.

Get well soon!

Renee

Guest CyberPixie

Yes yes yes!!! I first thought it was something to do with thyroid probs but that was ruled out. It's been getting worse and worse for last 2yrs. Some days are not so bad, others I cough and choke til I heave, often 20 times a day. I often wake in the night with it too. This then affects my breathing and I get VERY breathless.

What a relief to see others have it too.

You guys are stealing my newest trick. I start coughing like from a gag reflex and throw up when I am sitting or standing too long. When I start getting this way I get immediate relief from lying flat on the floor. Coughing stops instantly. There is also something known as cough syncope. I haven't really researched it that much but it involves passing out while coughing. I don't know if it is autonomic related but it usually hits me bad after an infection. Sometimes it is not a good idea to drive due to loosing sight while coughing.

jacquie -

you've been sick for a bit (ggggrrrrr....i know :rolleyes: ) so for now i would tend to think that any issues you're having with coughing, spasms, etc. are likely directly related to that. i do hope you're feeling much better soon though.

vemee -

syncope triggered by coughing is a variant of vasovagal syncope...it can happen for one of many reasons of which coughing is one.

B) melissa

I get it too. I only had it rarely thru college and beyond but then after mydaughter was born it became a regular fixture for me. Yes, standing, sitting too long in the wrong position (specifically straight up or leaning to the side will kick it off). I will cough all night and day for weeks. Sometimes It will kick off because I have been sick or something and othertimes it just happens. After I have a bad potsy time it will kick in too. I used to take dimatap dm but that no longer works for me...I have to triple the dose for it to have any effect and then I am fighting fainting the next day. I can take Niquil (10% alcohol kind) once before bed and it does ok. I can only do it for two nights though or the morning after the third I will be all fainty yucky.

I have been on lots of antibiotics etc for it but it never does any good.