Remeron: Was just prescribed it--I'm terrified to take it.

LindaJoy

Hi. I'm still doing the "trying to find an anti-depressant that won't send me to the ER" game, and my doctor now wants to try Remeron. I've read some of the threads on it here, and all have been negative. Not just negative, scary, actually.

Can you all please tell me what your experiences have been on Remeron? Any positives out there?

Thanks.

Linda

My half brother has serious mental health problems and was placed on remeron a few years ago -- I don't think it helped him much, and he gained 50 lbs whilst on the stuff. He's no longer on it. I don't think he has any side effects other than being sleepy and a bit lethargic. Keep in mind, I'm going from his self report, which isn't always exact or accurate... but just thought I'd share what little I know on this one.

nina

I tried it about 6 years ago. It exacerbated my OCD and made me feel really weird. Not encouraging I know, sorry. The doctor told me it was considered a "dirty" antidepressant. It has a few components to it. Not sure what he meant by that.

Anyway, I haven't tolerated ANY of them, so I may not be the best judge. morgan

My experience: Made me sleep better. That's why it was prescribed. Felt really bad working up to the normal dose. Had to use a cane because I became real dizzy. Often wondered if "sticking with this" medication brought out my POTS. I'm starting to wonder whether this med kicked me into this disabled mode.

Lasted 5 1/2 months. I refused to continue because of the weight gain.

THE DOCTORS TRIED A LOT ON ME TOO AND I DIDN'T TOLERATE THEM WELL. THE ONE TRIED AND TRUE OLDIE REALLY HELPS ME A LOT WITH THE TINGLING AND I ALSO HELPS DEPRESSION IS ELAVIL. I TAKE IT AT BEDTIME AND THE DEPRESSION HELP WAS A BONUS AND I HAVEN'T HAD ANY SIDE EFFECTS BESIDES DRY MOUTH AND TIREDNESS SO I TAKE IT AT BEDTIME AND I DRINK A LOT OF WATER.

Sorry I didn't know about the caps rule

Edited by LYNDA

LInda

I had a very bad reaction to remeron... it was downright scary.. you can probably find my post on.. somewhere here in a search..I was given remeron to help me sleep..

But everybody reacts differently to medications.. so you might actually react well to it and maybe it will help you..

If you take the remeron.. I would recommend starting out at the smallest dose possible.. then if the pill can be cut in half or something.. cut it in half and work yourself up to a normal level.. they automatically started me on 30mg at bedtime.. :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o