Abnormal Ekg

Dizzy Dame

Hi all,

First, I'm sorry I haven't been writing. Things have been very bad for me lately, but I promise to catch up with everyone once I begin to improve.

I really need some advice though. A few days ago I had a very scary episode that sent me to the hospital via ambulance. When I got there the doctors ignored me, didn't even do an ekg, or take my blood pressure, or even LISTEN to my heart! and sent me home eight hours later with a "chest pain" diagnosis.

I went to my new cardiologist the next day and it turns out my ekg is abnormal (more than before). I have an "elongated T-wave". He didn't really explain what this meant, and said there was no point in exploring it fruther since I'm going to vandy in two weeks, but now I'm terrified. I've been having increasing chest pain and my crashes have become more "violent" in nature ( higher tachy, numbness, paritial paralysis etc.) This may sound silly but I'm worried I'm going to die.

First, does anyone know what the implications of an "elogated T-wave" are? Also, I'm considering suing the hospital I went to for negligence, does anyone have expierence in suing? I've never sued anyone before and don't even know where to begin.

Thanks so much for any advice and prayers you can offer.

Merry Christmas,

Lauren

I don't know much about what an elongated T wave means, but I know that T waves can be affected by your breathing- if you overbreathe, they can be inverted, distorted or look different somehow. Are you hyperventilating while you have tachy episodes? If you are, this could explain the T waves thing, I think (but I'm not sure...this is just my understanding of it).

when my pulse goes really fast, I think my T and P waves merge into one- which could equate potentially to an elongated T wave...but I relaly don't know enough about it., My knowledge is pretty rudimentary!!!

A lot of doctors will assume that hyperventilation is the egg and not the chicken of an attack if you have a bad episode in front of them, and could perhaps explain why the doctors at the ER were so useless with you the other day? (not an excuse I know, but it could at least offer some level of explanation)?

Check it out with your cardiologist

Merry Christmas

K x x

Guest Belinda

I have had abnormal T-waves for quite a long time even before my symptoms became apparent noone has ever been really concerned about them mine, mine are very flat or inverted.

I assure you that abnormal T-waves are not life threatening from what I have experienced and been told.

Not that you don't have any reason to not worry with the crashes and surges you are experiencing.

If your cardiologist said not to worry at this point I would probrably not worry so much about them.

I know that ilt is frustrating to lgo to ER and have them do absolutely nothing sweetheart..been there too.

I hope that you find what i am telling you a little relieving, of course I am not a doc. but like I said I have had abnormalities for quite some time.

One question, have you ever had cardiac ablation? That might to be contributing in some way.

Take care..let us know how your feeling..and try and have a good Christmas.

Belinda

Guest Belinda

Oh yeah- one more thing I will explain to you what the T-wave representsa on EKG.

THe T-wave is observed as the ventricular walls repolarize. Depolarization triggers contraction in the affected muscle tissue. Whish means this is the time when your heart starts the beating process all over again.

Hope this helps..and I am with you on the lawsuit deal I have been thinking on how many idiot docs. I could sue for negligence in the last year I have been sick..and I have past out. Could

've happened when I was driving so many misdiagnoses it is ridiculous..

Belinda

Hey Lauren,

An elongated T-wave means that your ventricles are taking a longer time to relax than normal before the next beat. These electrical patterns can mean a lot of things. I would suggest going to see an electrophysiologist because they are more specialized in electrical patterns and what it means for your particular case. Heart problems are nothing to mess around with even in young women. (Though, i just read a testimony today of a young woman who had similar symptoms and was also ignored in an ER, so it seems you're not alone.) It's not something that you should be scared of, but something that you should pursue and take seriously.

As far as suing goes, if you want to do it, I would suggest contacting a reputable medical malpractice firm. They can probably give you a consult over the phone and let you know what your options are.

On a more emotional level, i'm so sorry to hear you were not treated properly at the ER and that your doctor didn't explain your test results to you. I hope that you're able to get more info and clear up your concerns about everything soon! Doesn't help that all this is happening around the holidays <_< Hang in there!

Kristen

Lauren,

Just chipping in with a little moral support. I don't have medical or legal advice! <_<

I am truly sorry you are having such a rough time. You are not alone in being afraid of dying. So many of us have felt or do feel that at times. Especially when we feel there is something wrong and the patient care is INEXCUSABLY BAD!!!

I also know the emotional toll this all takes. And it is very scary when we are not taking seriously by the docs. And even if we really aren't dying (which is most likely the case!), I can certainly say that I FEEL like I am dying b/c I feel so awful.

I am probably not making one bit of sense as my ambien is kicking in....

I am glad that others knew more about the twave stuff and perhaps it is something then that Vandy can more carefully look at and explain. Let's hope!

Goodnight! Later alligator!

Emily

Sorry you are having a rough time of it. I dont know anything about the T wave, but I do know how it feels to be just pushed aside in the ER. I had to go to the ER in October, I ended up having a minor stroke and the stupid hospital sent me home. They diagnosed me with a general headache. My Cardiologist now told me that any time that I have to go to the ER to call him first and he will call ahead. I dont know about law suits though. All we have ever done is to complain to the Administrator which nothing was ever done. A couple of times we didnt have to pay the bill, but that was all. Our hospital has been sued over 100 times just since they opened their new building, and they have lost every suit. All of it was for neglegence from the ER. You think they would get the picture by now. I think that they have a red flag or something on my file because of my last doctor, so they dont take me seriously. When I was in the ER the last time the blood work even showed that my heart was under stress and was being damaged, but they still sent me home. Maybe if I was dehydrated they would have admitted me. I know they did the person in the bed next to me. My biggest advice to you is to seek the advice of an attorney that specializes in these types of cases. They will know what is the best course of action. Hope you get some answers. Vanessa

Hi all,

First, I'm sorry I haven't been writing. Things have been very bad for me lately, but I promise to catch up with everyone once I begin to improve.

I really need some advice though. A few days ago I had a very scary episode that sent me to the hospital via ambulance. When I got there the doctors ignored me, didn't even do an ekg, or take my blood pressure, or even LISTEN to my heart! and sent me home eight hours later with a "chest pain" diagnosis.

I went to my new cardiologist the next day and it turns out my ekg is abnormal (more than before). I have an "elongated T-wave". He didn't really explain what this meant, and said there was no point in exploring it fruther since I'm going to vandy in two weeks, but now I'm terrified. I've been having increasing chest pain and my crashes have become more "violent" in nature ( higher tachy, numbness, paritial paralysis etc.) This may sound silly but I'm worried I'm going to die.

First, does anyone know what the implications of an "elogated T-wave" are? Also, I'm considering suing the hospital I went to for negligence, does anyone have expierence in suing? I've never sued anyone before and don't even know where to begin.

Thanks so much for any advice and prayers you can offer.

Merry Christmas,

Lauren

I've neber sued a hospital before, but I had a similar experience where I went to the ER with chest pain, palpatations and shortness of breath, and as per my doctors instructions I was supposed to go the the nearest hospital so the episode could be caught on an ECG (EKG). The triage nurse turned me away as I looked 'healthy'. I went straight to my GP's surgery who did an ECG, and it turned out to be abnormal - he was furious with the hospital - and was going to write to them.

I have no idea what the outcome was though.

Thanks so much guys, I feel a little better after reading your responses. I'm glad the T-wave isn't something to get terribly worried about. My cardiologist is new to me, so I wasn't sure what to make of his "don't worry" stance (because sometimes doctors say that and don't really mean it).

I hope everyone had a wonderful christmas! i'll write more later when my hands stop shaking so much!

Hugs,

Lauren

lauren -

i'm sorry you've been having such a tough time & am glad you're feeling at least a bit reassured by others' info re: the EKG readings. i was going to say much the same about that: that obviously you should follow up but that it may or may not mean something for you....i.e. i have a part of my EKG that's almost always a bit "off" but it's a part that almost half of the female population has as "abnormal" so obviously it's not so abnormal after all. i know i'm always wanting to know what results mean too though....not so much out of worry perhaps but out of curiousity & hoping it will help lend a fix to "something" amongst all the craziness in my body. so i hope you'll get some answers soon.

on the other topic of a lawsuit....i am by no means an expert but having studied law & worked with attorneys some (emphasis on some) i doubt that you would get very far in terms of a lawsuit. this isn't b/c the way you were treated is okay or right or in any way excusable BUT rather b/c in order to have a compelling case there needs to be a causal link to an injury of some sort. i may not be using the right terminology (as i've been out of my legalese for a year now...aka former job) but unless their negligence directly harmed you the case is generally considered weak. as an extreme example, if the lack of monitoring, treatment, care, etc. had resulted in a dangerous electrolyte level not being detected and you went home and had a heart attack b/c of this imbalance that would be a more substitive case.

i'm NOT trying to minimize your treatment (or rather lack there of) but just wanted to give you the heads up legally. i've definitely had similar situations myself, most recently an ER trip for IV fluids (sent by my PCP for fluids & stat bloodwork) wherein they took my blood but refused to run it b/c i wasn't vomiting (and thus they said my electrolytes "had" to be fine) and wouldn't call my PCP even though she was in the building. i got the fluids & my PCP did the bloodwork herself the next day and - what do you know - my bloodwork was all way off. she was just as frustrated as i was. and i've had more agregious experiences in the past, some of which i probably could have taken legal action on, so i totally understand where you're coming from in terms of the level of frustration. if you do want to pursue it though generally the initial consult with an attorney is free & they'll let you know if they think there's a case. and either way you can definitely write to the hospital itself. one complaint won't necessarily do much but if they get a number about a certain doctor it is something that IS often looked into so you never know....

hang in there...

B) melissa