Sugar Sensative

katie_b

Many POTS patients find that sugar can trigger symptoms. For myself, I cut out sugar for quite awhile, completely. Now I do eat food with sugar occasionally. For some people this is easier than for others! I never got a stomachache or nausea from sugar, but in my case, autonomic dysfunction seems to have mainly affected my cardiovascular system. I get tachycardia and shaky--and other POTS symptoms at times-- after eating a lot of sugar. I've had all kinds of tests, including a four hour test of my blood sugar (glucose tolerance test), and it came back normal.

Katherine

Guest Finrussak

Why would you want to eat a lot of sugar??? and what kinds??? like candy bars??? Sometimes the upset is due to not being able to digest the different additives or ingredients..( like preservatives or carrageenans, soys, etc) how do you know its the suger and not soemthing else in whatever youre eating??? The blood sugar/insulin system is modulated by and affected by many things--all can be affected by the dysautonomias we have. And low blood sugar sx ( which happen after the body surges insulin after eating lots of sugar) can cause sx that feel like dysauto stuff and can also lead to dysauto type episodes....all the chemistry in the body is connected...and in people with dysauto...its highly sensitive.

Sugar doesn't bother me in things that have a low glycemic index. If there is enough protein and fat to keep the glycemic index low, I am fine.

BUT give me FAT FREE ANYTHING (sugar or not!) or fat free yogurt and ice cream, and I get sick as a dog with reactive hypoglycemia. I can eat normal ice cream. I can eat cakes and brownies except I can't do Angel Food cake...PURE SUGAR! It tastes great but NOT WORTH THE PRICE.

That's the only triggers I can think of....carbs like pizza is fine as long as I do not over do.

I can't over do on mashed potatoes either!! They can have a higher glycemic index than sugar so it I eat them, I need to make them myself and add butter and rich milk. If I just eat the mashed potatoes, I get very ill.

I can eat roasted new potatoes or red ones because they are waxier, and don't jump into your blood sugar like normal Idaho.

So for me it's a total carb thing and not sugar per se.

Also sometimes chocolate and sugar makes me FEEL BETTER to get thru errand running or exercise! Go figure. But I just "listen" to my body's cravings. Works for me. :P

Guest Finrussak

http://www.holisticmed.com/splenda/

according to the above ( a fairly reliable site) Splenda isnt as safe as its made out to be...Im careful about anything synthetic; no matter how close to nature. BTW the main homepage to the above site is a pretty good resource for natural healing methods and what to avoid...and as with everything ALWAYS be cautious and consult with a doctor!!!

{ sorry for sounding so flabberghasted earlier but I cannot imagine anyone who is so ill after eating large amount of anything having to even ask, and in my surprise I wanted to find out more in order to possibly help}

I constantly crave sugar and I really try not to indulge. I f I eat one sweet thing or something real high in Carbs ( like french or itallian bread) I go end up over doing it and I can't stop eating. Then when I am done I get so sleepy and can't concentrate and am barely able to walk because I am so uncoordinated and tired. After a big meal I am Hypoglycemic so I know not to overeat and I can jus imagine how high ny sugar levels are after sweets and heavy carb binging. So I really need to stay in control. My blood suagr is very low in the am and my meds have side effects that interfere with the bodies ability to control insulin and sugar. The sude effect wasn't listed on my pharmacy paper but after experiencing some weight gain and bad reactions and cravingd I checked out a the meds on line and discoverd how they can effect your body. Prevention is the key and so is watching what you eat. I know this but is so hard to eat healthy.

You could have a problem with candida. I personally will not eat sugar..or very little b/c if fungal / yeast build up. The symptoms of that can be neurological and can mimic many POTS symptoms....

Do you take a good brand of acidophillus? That can help you replace the good bacteria in your gut....

also sticking to nonprocessed whole foods is usually best.

Hope you feel better

Just want to chime in again--I don't want Katie to feel badly about her sugar intake. :rolleyes: For one, I notice she is a teenager--personally when I was that age, I was only beginning to understand/pay attention to nutrition--even though my parents were health-conscious and we ate very little junk food. Secondly, the typical American diet is sugar-laden--sodas, candy, etc.--and the typical teenager, especially, consumes a good amount of sugar. I suspect this is a new symptom for her, based on her post. Sometimes it takes awhile to see cause and effect of particular foods and symptoms.

Some good points were made about glycemic index--I also find that foods with a low glycemic index can set off my symptoms.

It is a struggle to eat healthily--especially if this requires changing old habits.

Take care all,

Katherine

Thanks Katherine!!

Yeah, I am a teenager, but I usually try to eat healthy. It was just that my mom had bought ice cream and that is the one food I can't resist!!

I also don't eat any kind of artificial sweetener. That stuff messes with your neurological system. I do use Stevia in my drinks, though.

Today I started keeping a health diary. I write down everything I eat and drink, my symptoms, BP, and pulse. Hopefully it will help us find an answer that I can help my self with, instead of taking all these meds and everything!

Katie--a food diary is a good idea. It is definitely possible that some foods will make your symptoms worse. But it is just as UNlikely, unfortunately, that cutting out certain foods will eliminate symptoms entirely. That said, you may eventually be able to go off the medications, and do fine--this is the case for many people with POTS.

Good luck and take care,

Katherine