Chia Seeds

Gena

I have been trying to find a way to get extra fiber in my diet, since I have to avoid wheat and gluten products. I miss the benefit of the fiber in the grains. So I tried flax seeds for the extra fiber and omega oils, but found out I'm allergic to this seed.

Anyway, I've been reading a lot about chia seeds (also an excellent source of fiber and omega 3s, b vitamins and calcium). In my research I kept coming across the fact that chia seeds absorb 7-10 times their weight in water and help with the body's ability to stay hydrated and maintain proper electrolyte balance.

Thought everyone might be interested in reading this article. This is just one of many articles I found (I am not promoting this particualr site at all)

http://www.integratedhealth.com/hpdspec/chia.html

Would be interested in hearing from anyone who has tried chia seeds. :)

Gena

Thanks Gina! Looks interesting. Is there a recipe as to how to eat them or something to put them in?

Morgan, I once had a perm that some friend deemed Chia Pet Head.

My hair is fine so I used to have to get EXTRA TIGHT perms because it would drop in a couple of weeks and THEN look great. But the first two weeks...I looke like the triangle haired girl in the Dilbert comics! Now I just color my hair.

But I wonder if you sprout the Chia seeds, as noted on the site, if it looks like a Chia pet! But it sounds interesting.

Actually yes, these are the same chia seeds that you can grow chia pets with! :D You can eat the sprouts too...although the seeds have the best nutrition.

I'm ordering some online this week (the seeds, not the chia pets :) ). I'll let you know how I do with them.

Gena