Brother just diagnosed also...

lalalisa

Hello,

The progression from health to illness

My mom: Healthy, got meningitis, lead to CFS

Myself: Healthy, got mononucleosis, lead to POTS and CFS

My brother: Healthy, got mystery virus, now has CFS

My brother is 24 and a newlywed. I feel so sorry for him. It's just crazy - can't believe we've all reacted to a virus in this way.

Is their any way to know more about how this happens? Genetic type testing?

Thanks for your support - I know many of you have other family members who are dealing with illness also.

Lisa

Lisa,

I, too, want to know about some genetic research! I mean that really could be the key to figuring this out. My mom has always been a fainter, but didn't know what she had until -I- was diagnosed 11 years ago. My aunt has the same story, only more severe than my mom. I am more severe than both of them. My grandmother, too, has always had low BP. Seems to worsen with each generation in my family...

I wish we could take these clumps of families and have some genetic research done. Looking forward to hearing some responses on this strand...

-Rachel :)

I just found out last month that my second cousin was just also Diagnosed with this. She was very surprised that her grandmother knew anything about it. When I was diagnosed I sent paperwork about POTS to all my family members. I am not glad at all that another family member has this but it is nice to know that my family will realize that this is a very traumatic desease and that I am not as quacky as they might of thought I was. Knowing someone else in the family had this POTS seemed to make it more real for me. I know that sound wacked out but....................

Sorry to hear you have so much of this in your family.

I do not know what is going on with me. No one in my family has ever had any Neurological problems, Grandparents lived to late 80's and 100's. Parents died young, but not from anything associated with this. My Neuro asked me over and over if there is any family history, or if I have had any severe neck injuries, and the answer was no to both. Everything that I have read it is either due to genetics or severe neck injury, but I have had niether. Anyone have any ideas? ;)

Vanessa

Hello,

The progression from health to illness

My mom:    Healthy, got meningitis, lead to CFS

Myself:        Healthy, got mononucleosis, lead to POTS and CFS

My brother:  Healthy, got mystery virus, now has CFS

My brother is 24 and a newlywed.  I feel so sorry for him.  It's just crazy - can't believe we've all reacted to a virus in this way. 

Is their any way to know more about how this happens?  Genetic type testing?

Thanks for your support - I know many of you have other family members who are dealing with illness also.

Lisa

I had heard they found a gene for POTs. I asked Dr. Fischer at Mayo (pediatric diagnostitian) a year ago, and he said, yes, they have found the gene. I had assumed it was Dr. Low and his research, but someone recently said they didn't think it was MAYO that found it. Now, finding a gene is like finding a needle in a haystack- so it'

s good they found it. But- any treatment , as I understand it, could be decades away. Exactly what the gene is for, or how it is transmitted (mom to child, mom or dad to child, ) I don't know. He said it was the POTS gene. Joanie

If there is a gene that causes it doesnt that mean that there can be no refuting that it exists?

I know that there isnt as much doubt as there is with cfs, however from hearing about alot of your experiences there still seems to be alot of doubt/ignorence in the medical community about POTS and OI type illnesses.

Thanks for your responses.

It's just amazing how many of us have other family members with similar illnesses.

Right now I'm the only one with POTS but we've all reacted similarly to different viruses.

For us it seems more like a genetic susceptibility to a CFS - type illness.

Lisa