House - TTT

Ernie

Hi,

I am just watching the new series of House and the patient had a TTT. The patient has been passing out 3 times so far. I am waiting for the diagnosis but I wanted to give you the update before the end of the show.

I'll write the conclusion later.

Not an autonomic problem--it was a pancreatic tumor that would suddlenly shoot out too much insuline and drive blood sugar too low.

BTW, in watching out they did the TTT, the table was tilting and flat, lather rinse repeat, way faster than one would typically do the test...

Nina

OK,

House was mentioning sick sinus syndrome, shy drager, ANS dysfunction.

The symptoms were sweating, tachycardia, dizziness, syncope, asystole, disorientation. They did the TTT, MRI, CT scans. The TTT was positive. They wanted to insert a pacemaker but the patient had another syncope triggered by heat so they did further testing.

They injected calcium and his glucose went down rapidly. So they found out that he had:

Pancreas tumor.

So I am glad that some of our symptoms, diagnosis and the TTT were shown. Maybe one day they will diagnose POTS or NCS. This is surely a beginning.

Personally I think House has terrible bedside manners but I would surely like to have him has a diagnostician!

yep....it's good to at least have the ANS lingo out there, but honestly the "tilt table test" annoyed me in it's lack of accuracy/realism....

my mom & i were calling each other during commercials:-)

there was a patient several weeks back that initially had me excited too (and also brought about some ANS discussion) but it ended up she "wasn't all there", aka was taking drugs to make herself sick (munchausan's...for real)

one of these days it will hopefully have an ANS conclusion rather than in passing, but at least it's a start...

:angry: melissa

HI Sunfish,

I think you are referring to Grey's Anatomy aired 2 weeks ago. The woman had asystole every now and then. I was excited at first too because I thought: My my they are talking about us. Then the intern discovered that she was taking medication to make her heart stop beating. I was so disappointed because I was wondering if people will believe that we do the same thing to get attention. She was diagnosed with Munnchaussen.

yeppers ernie, it was grey's...sorry, getting my medical shows confused...i need to go to sleep!

i went from super excited to super mad with that one, though....was thinking the same thing you wrote...

off to bed...

:angry: melissa

My husband was watching House with me and I was disgusted because the TTT was NOT realistic - he said, "Hey, you didn't tell me they did THAT!" I told him it was because they didn't.

The table they used for me was manual anyway. It would have worn out... someone to try that!

But at least we got "air time!" sort of...

My husband called to me from the bedroom that they were doing a tilt on tv. So, I turned it on and saw them turning that guy up and down. We would have ALL passed out from that!! Geesh!!! So, "House" had some things a little wrong. However, I need to defend "Grey's Anatomy". The fact that the doctors on the show even considered ANS problems in the young woman was impressive to me. Granted she turned out to be self-inducing her problems but to me, they handled it okay. I was really hoping they weren't going to go that route with her but they at least acknowledged what type of sxs would warrant further testing, etc. So, there's my two cents worth!

Carmen

That's still pretty cool that they even had any of that on the show.. I hadn't ever heard of a TTT before I was scheduled for one!

Even Omar said anyone would faint if they tilted like that. I would have a projectile hurl.... :)

However, it's really not out of the realm that the pancreatic tumor he had was connected to ans problems, as it's part of the endocrine system. All of his symptoms were autonomic, and I don't think the test they did to find the tumor is done very often because of the dangerous complications. They said his blood sugars were fine, it was cerebral spinal fluid that was short on sugar.

They did have ans connection though, which is more than most and at least he didn't have munchausens! morgan