FLUID INTAKE

d4g7

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to increase my fluid intake - the amount I drink just doesn't seem to be doing it:

Currently, I have a minimum of 4 litres of water per day (usually around 5), about 1.5 litres of fresh juice and about 8 cups of green tea - I don't know about anyone else, but I can't physically drink much more - however, I still feel dehydrated. I have a high sodium diet - am vegetarian - don't eat fatty meals - do moderate exercise.

My doctor tells me to drink more - but I just can't - and after all that fluid, I only pee twice a day!!!

I can't take sodium tablets as they make me vomit violently, and I also can't tolerate florinef - it gives me a nasty migraine.

Any ideas anyone??

Wow, that is a lot of fluid. I take up to three liters of iv saline/potassium/sodium a day and that seems like a lot to me. Does your doctor know how much fluid you are taking and how little waste you are producing? I would definitely make sure your doctor knows this- it sounds like something you and your doctor need to check out. Good luck.

Carmen

First let me just say that I'm not a doctor.

I've heard that if one takes in more than 4 liters of fluid a day, they can dilute thier blood and cause a decrease in electrolytes. One can actually have symptoms of dehydration as a result of too many fluids. My doctor talked to me about this a few months ago, and reccomended that I drink no more than 3 1/2 liters a day, supplimented with salt and potassium (I drink gatorade and eat high sodium food).

You may want to talk to your doctor about the amount of fluids you're drinking, and if the high volume has anything to do with it.

Also, I get IV's when I just can't bring my pressure up. They REALLY help. If you think they may be something you'd like to try, talk to your doctor about them.

Best of luck,

Lauren

I go to my doctor's office, or local ER when I need fluids. But I only get IV fluids in emergency situations (like if my BP falls below 90/50 and I can't bring it up). The doctors at my local ER are really understanding, and they seem not to mind. I just carry a prescription (sp?) for 1 liter of Sodium Chloride.

I've talked with my doctor about getting a port so I can give myself fluids, but we decided it wasn't necessary right now. I know there're people with IV ports on the forum. Hopefully they'll be able to give you more informaiton about those.

Cheers,

Lauren

That is A lot of fluid a day , Do you produce excess urine or is your urine still minimal and dark with this much fluid?

Withouth the proper electrolites along with the water you could be flushing your system of important minerals which is not good.

Have you tried adding electrolites to yoru water such as electromix? What about trying celtic sea salt...I just add it right to my water, but you can also use it on food. I do 1/4 tsp to every liter a drink.

At one point years ago I was drinkign like you and got very ill b/c I was overdiluting myself and flushing minerals from my body. My sodium got dangerously low and I was hospitalized for it.

I am not trying to scare you, and not saying that this will happen to you sonce I do nto know your complete history, But I would definetly sit down with my Dr and discuss it.

I think the key is to add some salt and electrolites.....

Feel Better :)

It would certainly be a good idea, as Jenn mentioned, to check your fluid input/output for a couple of days.

How much urine are you putting out a day vs. how much fluid are you putting it.

You can get one of those 'hats' from the docs office to measure your pee! Fun, fun, I know...

I think this would be a good place to start before trying to add MORE fluid...you are taking in a lot as others have said...

Then, you can start to solve the 'puzzle' a little more!

Emily