Severe, all-over muscle pain

calypso

I am baffled on this one. I went for a jog on Monday, which I do on occasion. About a day later, I started to feel like I was getting a virus. My throat became sore. I developed severe muscle pain to the point of not being able to open my mouth due to jaw muscle pain, not being able to lift a jug of milk due to hand/forearm pain, etc., etc. I figure the muscle pain is due to a virus; I obviously didn't injure my jaw jogging. But I can't figure out what besides the flu would cause this. I don't/didn't have a fever. It is now Friday and the muscle pain is so severe I can barely walk. I am going to my midwife today for an annual checkup and plan to ask her about it, even though she's not a general practitioner.

Could this be POTS-related or do you guys have any ideas? I don't have a lot of muscle mass due to the weight loss that occurred when I developed POTS, so I guess it could be partly from the jogging. But I've jogged before and never become sore at all.

Amy

Amy,

When I first developed POTS I just experienced strange fatigue. Then I began having muscle problems like you describe. My doctors didn't know anything about POTS so they focused on the muscle thing and diagnosed fibromyalgia. Though I believe fibro is real and that I have it, I am now convinced that it is secondary to my POTS and is a result of it. I've had long periods lately where the pain is not very bad, but sometimes it flares.

Do you have any spots that are tender to push on? Fibromayalgia has some specific points they use to diagnose it, but the tender points can be anywhere.

I find that heat and an ointment like flexall or icyhot are the best treatments, but I also have used Tyleonl #3 (with codeine) when it's at it's worst. My symptoms seem to be at their worst when I am not sleeping well or when I have stressed my body. Sleep is considered to be one of the major forces in Fibro. When we get solid sleep with all the stages, our bodies release growth hormone. Without this nightime GH, we have muscle pain. It makes sense to me that dysautonmia can also cause this as many other hormone release mechanisims are out of wack.

Hope this helps.

Roselover

Calypso

Do you have the dx Chronic Fatigue? I ask because many of us have post exertional malaise after exercise. And then there is another word (I can't REMEMBER it now maybe somebody else can) where we get flu like symptoms, low fever, etc. My neck glands often hurt...actually my glands can hurt before I start my period and those body parts aren't even close and that has happened for YEARS before my ANS got bad...

I get this acheyness alot when I have overdone it. EVEN on good days where I pushed and got something accomplised and thought YAY. Sometimes the after affects would take 24 hours to hit and then last a couple of days.

I can't remember if it's because the cytokins that build up in the body or something else. I need to check some of my bookmarks later when I have the time.

But POTS could possibly cause the same thing since so much of the body chemistry is out of whack. And I get the delayed thing after exercise frequently. sometimes within a few hours but sometimes, not for 24 hours or so. It's odd and annoying.

There is a rebound affect to exercise in CFS but i can't pull it up in my mental dictionary right now.

I hope you feel better soon.

Amy,

Were you able to get any insight from your midwife today?

I don't know, but I always think that something so 'new and differen't' deserves an extra look...I worry that I/we dismiss so many of our symptoms as 'just our POTS/CFS/FMS...' and it's sooo hard to distinguish b/w them all...

But b/c this is so new and sounds pretty extreme...I hope you were able to get some good feedback today! Please let us know how you are feeling and what you find out...

I have missed your presence on the board! Just wanted you to know that!

Emily

Well, it turns out my muscle pain was actually from that jogging I did. Jogging on the road as opposed to my usual jog on a limestone path apparently really shocked my body. I just stopped feeling sore yesterday. My doctor thinks that because I have very little muscle mass that my bones/joints/tendons/etc. sustained a lot of that shock. I still can't gain any mass or weight, though, no matter what I do since I have developed POTS! And no valid explanation for why can be given by anyone.

Anyway, no more jogging for me; I will stick to walking or using an elliptical machine.

Amy

Hi Amy,

just a thought, maybe it's possible for you to have a look at different shoes that are shock proved? There are different shoes for every type of ground (sorry don't know the right word for it right now). This maybe could help you??? Isn't it strange you lost so much weight AND muscles because of POTS! You did a good job asking your doctor, because you just never know what's going on.

Corina