Warning-Osteoporosis

LisaColumbus

Hi all, I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on Osteopenia and Osteoporosis. At Dr Grubb's urging I had a bone density scan performed. My test came back showing significant bone loss for a person my age (38) I now have to start taking Actinel to try and keep it from progressing into actual osteoporosis. According to my family doc and Doctor Grubb anyone who takes Florinef or other steriods for an extended legth of time is at greater risk, as is anyone who has severe weight loss and is generally underweight, not being able to exercise (weight bearing) puts you at an increased risk, so does smoking. I was also told that we (women) should all be taking calcium supplements (1200mg) daily. I urge everyone to discuss this with their doctors to make sure that you are still in the "safe zone" and are doing everything you can to minimize this problem.

Lisa

Thanks, Lisa. I worry about this, as I have had severe weight loss and muscle loss. My doctors are thinking of a bone scan in the next year or so to see if everything looks OK, and I am taking calcium but not 1,200 mg.

Amy

Thank you for this information especially for the new people. We've had this discussion before and I know of one person that said he had osteopenia within a year of starting Florinef.

My primary promised that he would do a bone density test on me within a year of starting on the Florinef, it's now been over 3 years and no test :)

After I herniated my back last month I was told that I have degenerative disc disease and arthritis in my spine. I finally took it upon myself to see a rheumatologist this past week. He said the pain in my hand was tendonitis. The rest of my bone/joint/muscle pain, he was thinking possible fibromyalgia but I didn't quite meet the criteria; thank goodness I don't need that diagnosis on my record especially here on the West Coast where doctor's think that things like Chronic Fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia are a Hooey diagnosis. He sent me for an x-ray to look at my bones and I'm waiting to hear back.

As of early menopause I've had a bone density test 8 years ago (at 34). It was meant as a first measure to compare to later tests. Because of early menopause and because of being light weighted, not able to move enough I'm taking extra calcium. I haven't had bone density tests since that time (I've had enough on my plate as POTS came up) but it is important to have it done. As I couldn't tolerate it, I'm not on Florinef.

Corina