Near syncope-or syncope?

Guest Julia59

Guest Julia59

Yesterday I went to the dentist for one of my 5 fillings----which turned out to be 6 now. I called them last week and told them that one of the back molars was bothering me---the one that was next to my crowned molar.

Anyway it was on the upper left way in the back---the last one. The dentist took a look and said a tiny pocket has formed near the beginning of my root, and food gets caught in there. He said that my good dental hygiene kept it from getting worse. He said he could fill it to make the area less sensitive. I told him to go ahead and do it-------uggg---another $165.00 on top of the 750.00 for the other fillings.

I used no numbing agents---and told him to drill away. There was pain, but it was only in very short spurts. Then as he was drilling I got dizzy and had a brief spell where there was a momentary blackout that only lasted a second. I was dizzy the whole time---but not severe. Actually I have been light headed on and off for quite a while----probably about a month now. This is different from my usual POTS issues. The POTS more or less makes me feel wiped out and i'll get near syncope when I over do it. Now I just get light headed even while sitting and taking it easy.

Hopefully this is not a warning that my issues with my brain stem compression is getting worse. It's hard to tell if i'm just having a POTS crash------or the spinal/brain stem stenosis is causing more symptoms. I have more hyper adrengic spells also---and I have such a weird sensation now when I get these spells----a very doomed feeling comes over me, then is passes. I suppose this is the most disturbing part of the whole mess. Also, my hearing is going in and out, and i'm getting more facial numbness, along with worsening of leg numbness and weakness.

I guess it's a good thing i'm seeing the NSG at the Cleveland Clinic on the 24th---less then a week now. I'm afraid to have more dental work done----however, i'm not panicked. It might have been just a fluke----and not anything to worry about.

Sorry to ramble here----but whenever something out of the ordinary happens----I need to consult my team here............ B) Also, venting a bit doesn't hurt,,,,,

Dr. Grubb told me everthing is crashing down on my at once, and my hyperadrengic spells could be because of that----or my body is telling me something is wrong----well I already know that. All of us have something wrong......

I just thought I would see what ya all think.......... :wub:

Julie :0)

Julie, gee, I think about a nearly $1000 dentist bill would probably send me into a POTS spell, too!! :) Since you didn't have any numbing agents that would cause a reaction (from the epi), were they using latex gloves? I have a latex sensitivity, in addition to the epi. Just a thought. Hope you're feeling better now.

Melly

hmmmm... Julie..

did they by chance check your BP when this happened?

maybe the position that you had to hold your head and mouth.. casued some pressure and stress on your allready fagile neck and stuff?

I am not real sure.. but just wanted to add my sympathy.. and do hope that you are feeling better.. and god bless you for having dental work done with no nothing!! you are brave..

HUGS

Linda

Guest Julia59

I don't think i'm allergic to latex. How could I find out?

I don't breakout at all.............I just think it might have a lot to due with stress on my neck. I'm in a position where my neck is extended because my jaw has to be open so wide....

I just felt light headed---and like oxygen wasn't getting to my brain momentarily.

Today my head and ears hurt so bad----it's a shame I can't handle narcotic type pain killers. WEll----I got the Ice on---it does help a little.

My bloodwork came back abnormal. Vitamin D is real low---@<7---and it should be 25-57----and RDW---from the CBC labs was high---but only slightly at 15.2---with the normal range being 10.8-14.8---so that might not maean anything.

Maybe the low vitamin D is affecting my teeth.....?

Julie, your primary care doc should be able to arrange for you to have a test for latex sensitivity. I had the test when I worked in the Blood Bank, because I was having symptoms. Fortunately, our lab went latex-free on all gloves. But there are a lot of other materials used in healthcare that are made with latex, other than gloves. It might be worth ruling out, although the pressure on your neck and positional changes during the procedure sounds like a plausible theory. I hope your pain subsides soon. Isn't there anything you can take besides icing down your neck for the pain?

Melly

Guest Julia59

Thanks to all of you for the support-----it really helps a lot---------- :)

I can take tylenol-------and that's about it. I don't go into shock or anything like that from the pain meds---I just get pretty sick, so if I can bear the pain with just tylenol and ice, it works for me. ( I just don't tolerate pain meds well at all). It doesn't take it completely away by any means, but it helps make it bearable.

I know at some point i'll have to give in and take the nasty side affects from the pain meds---as the pain is beginning to take a toll on my ANS. I have an unusual high tolerance for pain, and it doesn't usually put me to bed unless I push too hard. I am one of those people that doesn't realize how hard i'm pushing it until I sit down---and then I just collapse, and end up out of it for a while.

julie -

i'm sorry you had such a rough visit to the dentist :)

obviously it's hard to know for sure, but i would vote for the symptoms being caused by pain or the positioning of your head/neck....or quite possibly both. the positioning can affect even those without all the spine issues you have so it makes sense to me. and regard to the pain, it may affect your body more than you realize even if you have a high tolerance for pain. i am not quite as sensitive to meds in general as you are but am as sensitive to pain meds. i too would much rather tolerate the pain & tend to have a pretty high tolerance. a day after my spine surgery i didn't take anything but tylenol. but...i think that even if we're not "feeling" pain our bodies may react to it, ya know? this is my theory - nothing official - but makes a some sense maybe??

anyway...i'm glad you have your appt coming up soon & hope it brings some answers.

:) melissa

Dear, Dear Julia,

What a terrible, horrible day. I agree with the others about the position of your head and neck, combined with the trauma, maybe low fluids, and because of the discomfort, your were tightening up, maybe even holding your breath and doing a valsalva. Put it all together and it's "who needs nitrous oxide?"

I hope that you can snuggle up and take care of that sore tooth and see the doc soon to discuss what is going on. Here's a hug. -Deb

p.s. Hope you billed the dentist twice what he billed you.