Phlebitis

Hey all,

I just got back from my PCP's covering doc. And he says I have a case of phlebitis. Does annyone else get this because of blood pooling or inactivity? He thinks it could be both. I was scared to exercise with POTS but I know I'm going to have to, especially walking. I'll just take it slower. Thanks for the input in advance. I'm off to my treadmill.....

KLS

Boston, MA

I'm prone to get phlebitis when I'm inactive. That means that after a bout of the flu, or a long airplane ride, I've had inflamed veins. Sometimes I do nothing. Sometimes I put on my 30 Hg pressure hose and one time I took aspirin for two weeks (which upset my stomach). As a matter of fact, I have a vein now that probably should be surgically removed (because of the constant problems), but I'm not in good enough health to have the surgery performed.

Hi there,

I don't personally know anything about phlebitis, but I was wondering if you have had an ANA(antinuclear antibody antigen) test done? If so, and it has came back positive, (i.e, speckled or homogenous pattern at 1:320 0r 1:160) please reply and let me know. I may have some interesting data for you to ask your MS doctor about. Sorry I can't be more helpful about your other problem.

Bamagirl

I have Low protein S disorder along with all of this other stuff, so I clot up often. In order to prevent the blood pooling tou are suppose rest with your legs softle elevated by a pillow or towel. Don't stand in one place or wear socks that will leave aring around your calf or ankle, cold compress is used for sore spots, do not use heat as it will make any bleeding worse. Try a anti inflammatory if your doc o.k. 's it. Please gte tested for a blood clotting disorder if there are any family history of stroke, sudden heartattack, or anyone in your family that is on a bloodthinner. A lot of times no one diagnosed deaths due to bloodclot that caused a ht attack or stroke especially if the peron was older that 55. You might need to do some research. When you are off your feet do ankle rotations and flexing, bend your knees, where a light compression stocking and drink plenty of water.

Good luck and keep moving those legs! Oh, and don't massage them it can make distended veins break an disclor evenmore.

morgan...

i saw in a different post related to this topic that you suggested putting your legs up WITHOUT pressure to the calves to avoid clots??? how do you do this exactly? i am almost always in a recliner or in my adjustable bed...so i am in the same position many hours of the day. i try to do a lot of pointing/flexing of my feet, drawing the alphabet with my feet, etc. but was wondering if you had any other tips. my calves do get sore.

thanks nurse morgan, your canyon girl emily

My sweet Em, try putting a little rolled towel or pillow under your ankles, like where the achilles tendon is for short periods. We use to have a fair amount of long term patients and had to be very careful, so as not to cause pressure sores. Putting things under your heels hyperextends the knee and can be painful, putting them under the calves just causes more pressure. We would put very small (just enough to get the pressure points off the bed) pillows or rolled towels under the knees and achilles for short periods. But keep up the alphabet and keep those feet moving, that's what keeps the blood flowing....yomamamorgan

Hi all,

Thank you for replying to my post. I'm sorry I've been AWOL, but the phlebitis has kept me from sitting very long. I'm still having problems with it. I see the doctor again on Friday to check up on it. I just wish I knew the cause. I spoke with my POTS doctor and he's weening me off Clonidine, because it came on at the same time as my being on the Clonidine. So it's possible there is a conenction. Thanks again for posting.

I too have had trouble with phlebitis for years. When I have pain with this I use compression stockings or a thicker compression brace I purchased at the pharmacy. It seems the brace takes some of the pressure off, and improves circulation. I have had several that they did ultrasounds on to make sure they were superficial and they were. For years they had me treat this with an aspirin a day, and then aspirin several times a day if I had flare ups. However, now I am not allowed to take aspirin, due to my stomach problems. I have had a couple of medications that causes severe flare ups where the medication had to be stopped. I now am to avoid any medication that have a risk of causing blood clots. I hope that your phlebitis eases up soon, as I know how painful it can become.