Getting a gastric motility study done in a week and a half - any experiences?

MikeO

Bit nervous as i heard it takes 4-5 hours. scheduling asked a ton of questions like if i had a pick or port, special needs and if i was a diabetic (sigh) they also said they will make me eat before the test. I just hope i do not throw up. They mentioned something like bread, egg and i forgot what else. Darn brain fog.

Just reaching out if anyone has had one seeing a lot of us have gastro issues. 

I just did one a few days ago! It was egg white, white bread, and strawberry jam. I could eat them in whatever combination I wanted. I am touchy about eggs, so I had it as a sandwich. You just eat it and then get scanned every so often, and it’s very easy. I think I couldn’t eat or drink for 4 hours before the test (it was at 8:45, so that meant dinner the day before for me - rough without coffee!), and I was out of there by about 1pm. I had an IV with hydration running anyway, but IV access didn’t have anything to do with the test. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well i have been put on XIFAXAN for suspected SIBO issues. it is a two week course of antibiotics. as i dug into the intestinal bacterial overload seems to be common with a number of folks from diabetes to ans issues like POTS and vagus nerve issues.

Hate the NIH studies that just suggest that more studies are needed. i am just happy i have a gastro gal that is working out of the box.

I hope the treatment helps.