Protonix helping hyper pots?

Derek1987

So I was diagnosed with hyper pots. My blood pressure is always elevated. Now I'm on protonix for ulcers and something called barrets esophagus. Since taking protonix, my blood pressure is closer to normal and I'm taking one fourth of what I was taking(coreg). 

Is there any correlation with stomach issues and hyper pots? My blood pressure is much better. I was taking 25mg of coreg twice a day. Now I'm taking 12.5mg once a day. 

I still suffer with all of the other issues but at least my blood pressure has improved. 

@Derek1987 I too have HPOTS, and I take Protonix as well, also for ulcers and barrett's esophagus ( now completely healed ). The GI problems were said to be a result from the sympathetic overcompensation - in other words high adrenaline all the time which is like being under severe stress always. 

Protonix does not help for POTS but can help with the GI symptoms that come with it. 

22 hours ago, Pistol said:

@Derek1987 I too have HPOTS, and I take Protonix as well, also for ulcers and barrett's esophagus ( now completely healed ). The GI problems were said to be a result from the sympathetic overcompensation - in other words high adrenaline all the time which is like being under severe stress always. 

Protonix does not help for POTS but can help with the GI symptoms that come with it. 

Ah I see. Makes sense makes sense. Are you saying your barrets was healed? Or just the ulcers. I'm in a lot of pain from the ulcers, I can't sleep. They just did a CT scan on me to get a better look at what's going on. They also put me on 20mg of dicyclomine. It makes me so sleepy though. I haven't been able to take it as prescribed. 

I seem to remember that pain can cause blood pressure to go up. Could it be that the medication has brought your pain levels down and this has led to your blood pressure coming down a bit?

Whatever the reason, I’m glad you had some good news. So often medications can have side effects or a negative effect on a different condition or symptom.

2 hours ago, Derek1987 said:

Are you saying your barrets was healed? Or just the ulcers.

@Derek1987 The ulcers and the barrett's were healed ( and proven so by several follow-up EGD's ) by a mixture of Protonix, Carafate and what they call GI cocktail, which consists of Mylanta, viscous lidocaine ( numbs the esophagus lining ) and phenobarbital. I also became disabled, found the right medication regimen for POTS and adjusted my dietary habits. All this together helped things to heal. 

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

@Derek1987 The ulcers and the barrett's were healed ( and proven so by several follow-up EGD's ) by a mixture of Protonix, Carafate and what they call GI cocktail, which consists of Mylanta, viscous lidocaine ( numbs the esophagus lining ) and phenobarbital. I also became disabled, found the right medication regimen for POTS and adjusted my dietary habits. All this together helped things to heal. 

Oh dang. That's a lot of stuff. Do you still take protonix or anything for it since adrenaline(hyper pots) is the source?

9 hours ago, Sarah Tee said:

I seem to remember that pain can cause blood pressure to go up. Could it be that the medication has brought your pain levels down and this has led to your blood pressure coming down a bit?

Whatever the reason, I’m glad you had some good news. So often medications can have side effects or a negative effect on a different condition or symptom.

I don't think so because I've been in pain daily lol. I couldn't get to sleep until after 3am because of the pain last night. And I check my pressure several times a day. And it's just been consistently good since I started taking protonix. Even with the pain. 

I'm going to bring it up to the doctor and see what he says, if anything. I just think there's some weird pots connection. 

17 hours ago, Derek1987 said:

Do you still take protonix or anything for it since adrenaline(hyper pots) is the source?

I still take Protonix and will have to forever. Since HPOTS is chronic so are the GI symptoms, so the protonix keeps the stomach acid at bay to prevent ulcers and inflammation. So far so good for me! 

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

I still take Protonix and will have to forever. Since HPOTS is chronic so are the GI symptoms, so the protonix keeps the stomach acid at bay to prevent ulcers and inflammation. So far so good for me! 

Thanks for the response. And when you said healed, were you including the barrets esophagus? I had read there was no cure but idk. I didn't even get to talk to the doctor after my test. They just sent me a generic piece of mail stating what they found. 

9 hours ago, Sarah Tee said:

@Derek1987, oh dear, I’m so sorry you are still in pain. Looks like I really put my foot in it with that suggestion!

Lying awake is the pits.

No worries. They told me yesterday on the phone I had some type of hernia. Can't remember the details because my memory is bad. Just that it's not complicating anything. Not sure if I'm getting pain from that too. Probably. 

On 10/5/2023 at 1:07 PM, Derek1987 said:

Thanks for the response. And when you said healed, were you including the barrets esophagus? I had read there was no cure but idk. I didn't even get to talk to the doctor after my test. They just sent me a generic piece of mail stating what they found. 

@Pistol bump. 

Also I messed myself up. I got sick with fever. Took 400mg Ibuprofen 2 days in a row. My whole stomach area burned for days. Now some blood is coming out when wiping. Sorry TMI. I need to make a doctor appointment to see if I can get something to numb my stomach. That lidocaine you mentioned maybe.